Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 Plowing

EricD

Here's my 725 in the snow. These are actually evening pictures enhanced to appear clearer for display. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/rightrear.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/leftrear.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/farfront.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/ frontview.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/ plowengineering.JPG[/img] The plow is a modified craftsman connected to an AC snowthrower frame via heavy duty mounted bearings(the bearings allow the up and down action). Still needs a dedicated mount welded onto its frame so I can adjust the angle in both directions. For now I use a cable connected to the plow as the lift system. This has made it through a few storms with a minor repair to the thin plow steel. I hope to be getting a Heavy Duty plow to take its place soon.

Martin, luckily I found her in this condition. She wasn't running because of some very minor electrical shorting issues. Just like you, this is the tractor that started my fever. I have a few other Simplicities but by far this is my favorite. I like the ease of the flip up hood and the basic mechanics of the gear transmission (as opposed to Hydro). I also like the steering wheel style not being round. I added the lights and weights. On the back left seat pan is a small round red marker light complimented by a round steel work light on the right. I decided to go Cyclops style steel work light in the front because IMO it looks more standard on the 725.

I agree the cyclops light is more orignal looking but I'm still glad mine came with two mounted in the hood hinge holes. Like the looks of the 'bug eye' better.

Looks to be in very good shape...also looks like a hard worker too...I alway thought the one light looked a little funny but after seening a few of them I guess it kinda grows on you..

John, The sheet metal is pretty substantial and the light, albeit metal framed, is not very much weight to support. Having written this, I just ran out and did a quick measurement. It seems that the steel on the oler 725 is an 1/8th thick as opposed to the sheet metal on a later Simp that is only 1/16th thick. I had no idea that heavier gauge steel was used on earlier ('61, '62) as opposed to later ('70, '71) models.. Always finding something new...:)