Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oh what did I start! "update"

ehertzfeld

I had the bright idea to get that broadmoor "that I got from Johnsup" into my basement. All I have is a bulkhead. So After putting plywood down the strairs and hooking chain to my 3310v, I lowered it down the ramp. After a good half an hour, it thawed out. I gave it a good look over and discoverd that it is a 65 not a 64. Model number 990288 " the deluxe model:D:D It looks like it is a 6hp briggs. The motor does turn. Sounds like it has good compression. Amazingly I hooked a bat to the starter/generator and it spun!!! How lucky am I:D. Well the next thing I know Im taking the whole thing apart. Some one painted over the orange, for a gold color. I have the same frame all ready and waiting to be built. Well maby a quick paint job. I just hope I remember were all the parts go.lol. I'll post some pic after. My camera whent on the frits and I lost all the pics of it all together. I'll go down at half time and snap some new ones. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I'm having fun. ELon

here are the pictures. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/mess.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/dash.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/frame.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/hood.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/motor.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/parts.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/rear.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/frame2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/highlow.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/tires.jpg[/img] do you think I can use thouse front tires?lol the rear look ok, just need some tubes. Any one have an xtra grill? Elon

Nice pics. looks like you are doing a frame up job there, have fun and keep us updated. BTW I think I have a front tire and rim if you could use it.

Yes I have to agree once you get one of these tore apart, you look and can't believe how many parts there are.... and before you know it you will have a nice looking Tractor.....

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
You called it the Deluxe model, I know the ALLIS 207's but what makes the SIMP. deluxe?
I belive the deluxe modle is one that has blot on hubs, a starter/generator, and the high/low. I think the steering wheel is diferent as well. There mite be more differences but In not sure what they are. Elon

That looks about like my Broadmoor...I am a little farther along than you though...I have mine almost all painted but it got to cold for painting and so it has been at a stand still until spring...You can see my project on my web site..link is in my signature...

Hey mowerman, thouse decals look great! what did it cost you for them? I mite do the same for my little project. Elon

Elon Fun looking project...! I may have some parts that will work with that mower...let me knwo what you might need... jay (im still looking for a box for your doors..!)

Well, after just about a whole box of S.O.S pads, I think I got the bumper as best as I'm going to get it. You can still see pit's in it but.... my arm's are hurtinglol. I also got the sheet metal off the engine and sanded and painted. Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/bumper2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/sheetmetal.jpg[/img]

A high speed wire wheel brush on a side grinder works wonders on the Chrome Work. As long as you don't stay in one place too long.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
A high speed wire wheel brush on a side grinder works wonders on the Chrome Work. As long as you don't stay in one place too long.
I was thinking of that but I kinda thought it would scratch it. Elon

Buffing wheels on the grinder would do wonders. Remind me this spring and I can put a few belt drive grinders and buffing wheels on the Sale part of the club. I wonder if a buffing wheel designed for a car, with the right compound would not do a nice job on the bumper. Be sure to protect it right away or the yuck will be right back.

Her are a few more pictures of my progress. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pairbox.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pcover.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pcover2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pdash.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pdash2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pframe.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pstarter.jpg[/img] I get into the shop and Im down here for hours. I am having trouble sleeping since I stated this project......Gee I wonder why?????:o):o) I think I have a porblem! [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/coke.jpg[/img]

Project looks good, keep it up Elon. Looks like only one real potential problem:( That issue can be easily avoided if you take fast action. I'm afraid that if you don't return those cans soon you just might run out of work area:)

Elon, looks like your project is comming along nice... It cost me alot more than I should have payed for my first set...I can't remember now but it was around $200+or-...The artwork is what cost the most...I have been selling the complete set for $100 shipped...

looking good but I think youre out of coke better go to the store How much coke does it take to redo a Tractor? Maybe that should be figured into the total bill also. LOL

A Total bill???? I dont plann on figuring out a total. If the wife finds out how much I spent on it.......might end any future restorations.:D I got the sheet metal on the motor hows it look? Im getting anxious to get it all back to gether! I keep having to slow my self down. LOL Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pmotor.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pmotor2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/pmotor3.jpg[/img]

What I like for cleaning chrome is a fine brass brush in my drill, haven't found one soft enough for the peanut grinder yet. Leave no scratching marks and a pretty good shine for the condition of the chrome I've done. I then spray it with clear-coat.

That sleep problem is why I don't work in my basement. But I did put a heater and a fridge in my shop. Looks great, don't stop now.