Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigcountry

Competiton time

bigcountry
2 days til I compete in the local FFA truck and tractor driving competitions! I'll be driving against 2 or 3 other schools and if I win I'll get to compete at the State level at the Southern Farm Show, and if I win there, the prize is $500 I believe. Tomorrow is the last day of practice and I'll be sharpening my handling down to almost 100% accuracy. So far, my best time for the Truck course is 49 seconds and no cones hit. For tractor and trailering, I have a best time of 2:56 and no cones hit. I'm hoping to get some times like those in the competition Tuesday.

dhardin
Good luck, wish i could have had that opportunity when i was young. Sound fun. Let us know how you did.... Got a question, is the tractor trailering a 2 wheel or four wheel wagon. I'm thinking of making a four wheel wagon this summer for my landlord to pull. dhardin

bigcountry
Well today was the last practice, tomorrow is crunch time. I got a best time in the truck course of 57.9 seconds and zero cones. I got a best time of 2:48 and zero cones in the tractor course. I stopped when I got today's best time. I wanted to end with a good score. Thanks everybody for the support, I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow night.

bigcountry
quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
Got a question, is the tractor trailering a 2 wheel or four wheel wagon. I'm thinking of making a four wheel wagon this summer for my landlord to pull. dhardin
For practice, we used a sawed off Chevy truck bed trailer. In the local competition a 6.5'x 10' single axle and they clamp on a metal frame to make the trailer only have a foot of clearance between the trailer and the boundaries of the back-up chute (6" on each side). The state level competition uses an old military trailer about 5'x6' and it has bad bearings which makes it very difficult to back in the 40' chute.

dhardin
Sounds great, thanks for the info. When i was a boy on the farm i was one of the better in backing the 4 wheel wagons around. Today I would need 40 acers and throw out the stop watch. I might mis your car..