Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tractor dose not want to shut off

RayS

I put the motor back in my B212 today it started up but it dose not want to shut off. I replaced the replaced the ignition switch and it has new points and a coil.It will start off the ignition switch but when you turn it off it don't quit I had to pull the choke out to get it stop.Any suggestion.

Ray, Dumb question but did you remember to hook up the wire from the points to the ignition switch. This wire is a ground wire that shorts out the points when the ignition switch is turned off. Roy

Yes I hooked up the wire from the points to the ignition switch i'll check and see if the wire is frayed.

A frayed wire would short to ground and stop the engine when you didn't want it to. Try grounding the wire while the engine is running. If it stops the engine then the switch is bad. If it doesn't stop the engine then it isn't hooked to the points correctly. BTW, you can kill the engine with a screwdriver to short the plug to the cylinder head. Just be sure to touch the head first or you will get a shocking surprise. Roy

Ray: I have replaced several ignition switches. One must get the correct switch. By some means, check to see if the post on the switch to which you have the "kill wire" attached makes contact or a connection in the "off" position. When the switch is turned off and grounded, current should flow through the post on the switch to which you have the "kill wire" attached. If the switch does not carry current, you need a different switch. Hopefully the source of the switch can find one that has this characteristic.