Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 Starting problems...

grlt1

I bought a 7016 in early December. The day I bought it I started it up three or four times and ran it around. I then parked it for about three days and needed to move it in the garage. It started up fine and I ran it a few minutes and parked it. The next time I used it must have been almost three weeks after that. It fired up and ran just fine. I used it to plow my driveway, so it ran for a good 45 minutes or so. Then, I think it was two days later I went out to plow again and it wouldn't start. It starts to turn over and then wont. It acts like the battery is dead, but I checked it with a voltmeter and it is right around 12.4 V. It acts like the starter isn't getting enough power because it will crank a little and then it stops. I jump started it and it cranks like it should and fires right up. I plowed the drive again and put it away. I have had to jump start it two times since then with the same situation. When I first go to start it after it has sat a while, it will crank over a ways and stops. The battery has always checked out being just over 12V. Yesterday when I used it, any time I shut it down I needed to jump start it to get it running again. Since the battery has been checking out at 12+V I am guessing that the generator is working okay. Does this mean I need a new starter? Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Check the cable connections. Could be a bad connection between the clamps and posts. By jumping, you can be bypassing the tractor battery and be starting only by the jumper battery. Pat

Kevin, if you check the answers to "hufhouse"'s post about somethinng wrong, you may get some new ideas. I'm betting you need a new battery. Did you try watching the voltmeter while you're cranking (or trying to crank) it? Low battery water or a bad cell in the battery are possibilities. Also wondering if your headlights not working may be more than just burnt bulbs--something there isn't draining the battery, is it? Good luck! :) F.

I have an AC716H (same tractor as yours) that acted the same way, and everything seemed to be working. I was thinking it was not charging properly. Replaced the garden tractor battery with a 51R. Takes off first time, every time, and battery is staying fully charged. Can't say enough about using the biggest battery that you can fit into these machines.

A battery that only checks 12 volts on a meter is discharged. A charged battery should read over 13 volts In a tractor it might start it. In todays cars voltage is so important that a battery checking 12 volts will turn the engine over but will not start it. A voltage drop as little as .1 volt can make the difference in it starting or not starting.