Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plow preferences

EricD

I am changing from a 42" plow to a 48" on my 725. We are supposed to get more snow this week so I'll get a trial. I'll try to post some pics of the larger plow in the next couple days. What size plows are people using on these landlord sized machines? Does anyone think that 48" is too much for the available power? Any favorite weight/chain combinations?

I finally switched the blade from the Broadmoor to my Yeoman. I absolutely HATE chains. Everybody says oh you have to have them in order to do anything, well I proved that wrong this afternoon. No chains and it did better than the Broadmoor w/out chains. I'd rather have weight than chains.

quote:
Originally posted by simplicity707
I finally switched the blade from the Broadmoor to my Yeoman. I absolutely HATE chains. Everybody says oh you have to have them in order to do anything, well I proved that wrong this afternoon. No chains and it did better than the Broadmoor w/out chains. I'd rather have weight than chains.
I think the reason that the yeoman works better than the Broadmoor is the fact that the Broadmoors have much wider tires...

My broadmoor is not worth a damn without chains(then again, my Broadmoor is not worth a damn, period}:):(!) but I agree with Mowerman, the wide tires probably have a lot to do with it. As far as the 48 inch blade, I'm supposed to be getting one soon(freeebeee!)from a friend. I'll probably have to adapt some to make it work on my 2010, I'll post how it worked out.

Last year I just about gave up on plows using my B-10. Was using a 42" blade, turf tires with chains, and 50 lbs of weight on each rear wheel. :( But this year I am using a 46" HD Blade on my 716-6 and what a difference. I am running turf tires, chains, and 75lb cast iron weights on the rears. But the real difference in performance came when I hung the 3 suitcase weights on a bracket off the rear hitch. Now I can plow going up the driveway hill. The angling the blade from the seat with the 46" HD Blade is also a big plus in my book. GregB

Well I thought I needed chains on my 7016H with Ag tires... So I bought some.. But So far I don't Think I really needed them...

I have a 42" plow, moveable, with my 916H,I love it ,but am leaning towards a blower. The snow piles are approaching 6 feet. Mike

Just the size change doesn't really matter. On my 61 Wards, with the smaller Wheel Horse blade, the tractor can be stalled till it sits and digs a hole. This will happen with a heavy dense snow. As the blade gets full and you start to compact the snow, it will eventually stop the forward motion of the tractor. A larger blade will just cause this to happen sooner. On light snow with lower accumulations, the larger blade will definitely remove more snow in a given amount of time. Now that I have a blower on my other tractor, I plan to stick with the smaller blade. It will be used only for trimming and working areas that I can't get the blower into. I have three blades and have decided to stick with the smallest one for this year. Plan to change before next season because one of my other blades is spring loaded and has an extremely nice set of easily adjustable runners. None of my blades are Simplicity or AC. Wheel horse, Sears, and ?? I just make my own mounts and go from there.

I was pushing snow all day long yesterday with my Yeoman w/out chains and it didn't even grunt! It does things that the Broadmoor wouldn't even dream of doing. BTW, part of the reason the blade was changed is 'cause the Broadmoor engine gave up on the last plow. I think it lost compression and spark, but she won't even fire anymore.

Dave If your Broadmoor has a champion sparkplug in it odds are that's your problem. I run Autolite sparkplug in my briggs motors.

The plow isn't a PTO-driven implement, so I wouldn't be really concerned about power. I would think that traction would be the bigger problem, since these tractors don't have much weight on the back tires until you add weights. I wouldn't think 4 or 5 inches of plow width shouldn't make a big difference. The 46" plow is better mainly because you can change angles from the seat, unless the mechanism gets covered in snow and ices up. It also has a spring trip, so the tractor won't drive up on the blade and hitch if you hit a solid object.

I had a 42" plow that I pushed all day with an Allis B210 I had. It had the narrower tires but no weights or chains. Rarely seemed to spin. I now have been using an Allis 710-6 with the same type plow but with chains. It loses traction alot. Not sure why they are performing so differently. Rear tires are both 23x8.5x12. Plus the front end gets pushed sideways alot easier when pushing with the blade angled and the windrow gets larger.

I run a 7112H with 46 " dozer. The first snow I only had chains and I dug holes. Nezt snow I added 110lb per wheel in weight and it grunts and moves the pile until I quit.

My 2010 does great without weight. Then again, with my fat *ss (233 lbs) over the wheels I have all the "natural traction" I need :I. And yes, I plow UP very steep grades:D.