Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
D-17_Dave

Justifacation for puchaseing more tractors

D-17_Dave
What's your best line to your better half for getting "another tractor"? I've probably used most of the good one's already but it never hurts to keep a few fresh ideas on hand. We might even put this thread in the "how too" forum if we come up with some new one's for future quik ref.[:0]:D:D

ka9bxg
Just get them and hide them in the shed with the rest of them if you have more than 10 they don't know if you got any new ones.If you have over 30 they will never know.My wife does not even care as long as the grass is cut.Just tell them they are worth more than you are paying for them.

Dutch
You "saved" all that money when you bought that dress, those shoes, the furniture, gadgets, gifts, and all that other stuff. So, the tractor didn't really cost anything. I paid for it with that "free money" you "saved."

Rob-B
Well I never really any major problems with tractor purchases but my kids are famous for "just because", "I don't know", "But my friends do", and the one that really touches ya............"but dad, come on" Rob

rokon2813
Bring up her "collections". How many smelly candles, flower vases, bells, knick knacks are there around the house. At least your tractors are outside. She doesnt have to dust them....

GregB
I like your logic Dutch. But my line is a little easier. As long as I don't spend as much per month as the wife spends on her Arabian horse, I don't really worry about it. One time she questioned the tractor expenses and my reasoning as simple "once its paid for it doesn't cost me board money every month". It ended the conversation, I think now she just avoids the topic. Although, it may come up again this spring when we start the new detached 24x28 garage :D:D:D GregB

HubbardRA
All of my tractors have been resurrected from junkers or just a pile of parts. A few bucks, another part, Wow, there is another tractor in the backyard. It keeps me away from bars, women, racecars, etc. I even took her on a vacation last summer. She enjoyed the trip to Colchester. I mentioned going again and trying to get some of the local guys to go together and just camp out at the event. She acted hurt that I was not planning to take her again. She is going, if I go this year. I must be doing something right. I just can't figure out exactly what, so that I can use it for other endeavors. My wife is a housewife, she doesn't work. I pay for her flower gardens, her sewing, her oil painting and other art that she does, her membership to the fitness center, and gave her the newest car that we have. She has to give me something of my own. After 30 years of marriage, she has realized that I am not a very nice person if she pushes me too far. She has her life, I have my life, and we have our life together. It works.

Agricola
I don't think comparisons would ever work. Rather include her in the purchase. Make sure the machine is far enough for a "road trip". Then it would include the stop to pick it up. "Oh, honey, just watch, this is too dirty for your sweet hands". Load it up, go to dinner someplace she hasn't been. When you unload it, clean the seat, let her have a feel for it and "Honey, you look lovely behind the wheel of that machine."

UCD
I don't have a problem at all. I might say I am interested in buying a tractor and not say any more for a few days and she will ask me why I haven't got it yet. Ann Marie enjoys going to the tractor shows. She asks me when they are so she can adjust her work schedule around them. She even suggested that the tractors stay in the garage and she would leave her car outside I didn't argue.

Tim_S
My better half doesnt seem to mind too much as long as I fix most of them and unload them. I have five now and soon they will be gone,all except the one I want to keep.She does like to shop too and I dont say anything.

dhardin
"The only difference between men and boys is not the size of your tractor, its the number of them." ka9bxg i brought home 2 old craftsman and they sat in the drive way for about a month befor my wife saw them. Like 20 feet from where she parks, ok they where behind my car, behind a trailer. You know in plane site.

rokon2813
quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
Bring up her "collections". How many smelly candles, flower vases, bells, knick knacks are there around the house. At least your tractors are outside. She doesnt have to dust them....
I only brought this up as a suggestion. If its a good deal mine usually asks "Why didnt you bring it home with you?" Ive even heard "youre not going to sell that one are you?" and "you are keeping this one, right?" and "as long as you dont try to sell it" (my sickle bar):D

bkassulke
I dont have this problem yet. I guess that I will get as many as I can before I get married(if I get married) And the time that I am not married I can think of excuses why I need them.