Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Justifacation for puchaseing more tractors

D-17_Dave

I bought mine and hid it at my other shop, until I done somthing to make my mom happy, then they do not mind, It has a tiller, and she made a agreement that I have to till up the flower garden. :D

I must be one of the lucky ones whose wife enjoys the hobby (addiction) with me. See enjoys going to the shows along with helping me work on some of my toys. She liked my panzer so much she wanted one like it and I was lucky enough to find her one, and her simplicity 707 is in the garage waiting for warm weather to be painted and put back together. I do get a lot of my own time in the garage but some days are set aside for us to work on a project together. If I come in the house and holler "ROAD TRIP" she and the kids get ready and off we go to fetch a tractor. She even found a B-10 in the want adds and called the number so we had first chance to buy it. We have 16 running tractors and about that many projects to work on, so for us at least our system works.

I usually just tell the wife. "its just a hobbie with cash rewards (I am a bargin hunter, usually what I find yeilds a profit later)" And it could be worse, I could sit at a smoke filled bar afterwork everyday and slug down a few cold ones. YOUR choice dear. Or I bring up my past of building race cars. "gee hun remember the time I bought $2K in parts for a car I didnt own yet" . Luckly I persuaded the owner to sell. Let them choose the lesser of the evils...Always bring up something much worse to haunt them a little. And if ya know you can make a profit in the long run or at least cover your expenses its a good deal.

I have to be careful what i suggest, that i might be doing, because she may just tell me to go do it. and smoke filled bars cause my clothes to stink like an ash tray and the dog would want to leave a post-it note on my shoes. On the safe side i have set my sights preety high to the point that she was relieved when, what i bought did not cost as much as she thought i was going to spend. Such as the new tractor idea . She is against it, but now if i can find one close that has all what i want then if i end up paying half as much as she knows a new one will cost i will be thanked instead of being hit over the head with a frying pan.

Being of the Social Security collecting age, my favorite, which I read on this forum some time ago is; "But Honey think of the nice auction you can have when I'm gone. People will come from miles away to bid on Ol' Jim's tractors"

Jim's idea works for me! What just happened, here, is that a couple years ago I bought a Kohler K301 from a guy that wanted to get rid of what was left of the engine when I asked about buying the points cover. Bought the intact block for $30 and just found a CC (sorry) with a blown K321. Using some of the extensive knowledge I've picked up hanging around here, I think the CC149 is soon to become a CC129 in 149's clothing. Hard to believe that the difference in a bore of 3.375 and 3.500 results in 2 HP.