Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Negotiating on a new tractor

Leroy

What is the best method to get the best price on a new tractor? Are the prices set/ fixed or is it like an Car dealer. Would it help to add implements at the beggining of the sale? Who has the best implements for a cat 1 3 point? Is the tractor manufacturer over priced on their implements as someone else builds them and put the dealers product name on it?

Thing Woods makes a good tiller in the cat 1 range. Might want to try a rental place in the area for good deals or to try different makes. My brother has a counter rotating tiller on his 955 JD and loves it, claims it'll eat up anything without tangleing. He send me pictures in 4 foot weeds that was like 'weeds-be-gone'. Some OEM sold attachments I believe are still taylored to the tractor, though made by someone else.

I'm really happy with the Howse 54" rototiller I picked up for my compact Cub Cadet 7254. Tiller is all gear driven, and can be set up for standard or counter rotation, and can be centered or offset. Norther Equipment had it for about $300 cheaper than if I ordered direct from Howse. I also have a Howse 48" box blade that came with a 720 I bought used, and it has been beaten up on the back of my Cub and is holding up very well. I'd think that purchasing OEM implements is definetly better done at time of tractor purchase, as there is likely lots of wiggle room. It also helps to find a high volume dealer, as they can often get machines at a greater discount then the small guys. My Cub came from a dealer in Ohio who bought 4 truckloads at end of season prices that allowed him to sell to me at a cost below what my local dealer could buy it for. Shiping by truck from Ohio to Long Island NY was $600 for tractor, loader, 60" belly mower.

Marty the rental research for deals is a good idea. Could be, they have equipment that just doesn't rent much and they could use the space. I was thinking that wiggle room was what i would get by getting implements at the time. But like you said Arnold on the high volume dealer volume is a factor to some. I guess I would want to find the true bottom dollar they would accept and make that offer. The problem is locating that bottom dollar. Hourly sales people and high volume sales seems like the ticket.