Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rust removal with a battery charger

dhardin

I found this on another lawn mower site, sorry I'm not realy a trader. Im waiting for my Jacks order to come in, but thought it was interesting and I'd pass it on to you all. http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html

HI, I was wondering if the electrode was changed and maybe the polarity? If the aluminum from a damaged crankshaft could be "plated" off. Good post, Thanks. Al [Just Curoious]

That is way cool!8D It's already in my bookmarks.;) I've always got coffee cans laying around worth sacrificing:D

Five hours of run time. I have to wonder what the cost is. I doubt it is to significant since I have run my charger over night but seems like it self manages and shuts down to a trickle charge once the battgery is charged. Dan

I have been reading about this type of rust removal for a few years now. I have not yet done it however. In some cases, they go to second hand stores/Salvation Army and pick up stainless steel sheets. As you read more, you will find that stainless might be a problem. One guy uses rebar, I wonder if screen or chicken wire might not work well since that would give you quite a bit of surface area. Here is what I was wondering. If you use a fuel tank for the negative electrode and a hunk of stainless with the postive. You might wrap the stainless in mesh. put the solution and electrode into the tank. Would this remove the rust from a tank?

John, Stainless rod must be suspended inside the metal tank. That should work fine if you make an insulating holder for the stainless rod to prevent it from touching the metal tank and shorting out. Maybe a plastic plug for the filler hole of the tank, with a setscrew to hold the stainless steel positive electrode in place.

quote:
Originally posted by rslade
5 hours @ 120W=600wh or .6KWH my local utility lists its highest residential rate at $.12 per KWH ... 7.2 cents
I'm glad I didn't try that before I knew the cost. 7.2 cents!!!! What a rip off.......... Doesn't anyone know of an affordable way to remove rust?

Guys...THIS WORKS. I've used this process on my hit and miss engines and it is effortless. Some words of caution. Don't use copper wire and don't use a sacrificial anode that contains chromium (Stainless Steel) as you could end up contaminating your ground water with the waste water. The beauty of this is you can dump the solution anywhere will no ill-effects. I use scrap rebar...welded together to form a large surface area anode that surrounds my parts to be "cleaned". Oh, one other thing, the washing soda...helps get grease and grime off your parts at the same time!!

This process does work well, and is very similar to electropolishing. Electropolishing, however, is not environmentally friendly, as it used acids. We have SS parts electropolished where I work. Makes a nice smooth finish into a mirror with such clarity that when you touch the part with bare hand, you leave finger prints that you cannot remove. This rust removal process is very similar, just a lower current, more friendly approach.

I think the first time I try this I'LL have my wife plug in the charger. hehehehe No really, it will be great to not have the rust dust all over the shop and in my lungs. Hope it's usefull to all, I know I will have me a bucket set up on the ready. The information available on the net (and this site) is unbelievable. And better yet is the easy it is to get information. So much better now than when the internet first started, back when i was a boy.. Your probably right we have not mentioned TRACTORS yet in this post. So maybe this should go to "teck tip" after is seen by all. It's takin me some time to get use to all the other forums. You know the "old dog and new tricks" thing. This site is geting so big (I love it) I need a road map to help get around.

If you use a grinder, let's see the cost.... Half horse for 1 hour... that is 746Watts/2 * 1hr or .373 kWhr at the same $.12/kWhr you would be paying 4.5 cents. However you would be attending the piece for the entire time so you have to put in Beer cost, sandwich cost and ??
quote:
I'm glad I didn't try that before I knew the cost. 7.2 cents!!!! What a rip off.......... Doesn't anyone know of an affordable way to remove rust
Kind of like welding... My Welder has a 25 amp breaker so the max would be 25 amp * 220V * 1 hour or 5.5 kWhr or about 60 cents for one hour of continous welding.

quote:
Originally posted by Agricola
If you use a grinder, let's see the cost.... Half horse for 1 hour... that is 746Watts/2 * 1hr or .373 kWhr at the same $.12/kWhr you would be paying 4.5 cents.
4.5 cents. Hmmm...... That's a little better, but just a little. I asked if anyone knew of an AFFORDABLE way to remove rust.

I have a niece that is quite vain. She spends hours and hours before her mirror, checking eye shadow, checking zit status and such. What I do is tell her that if she polishes this up, it will work like a mirror and she can see her radiance.