Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

problem greasing steering gear (missing fittings)

I`ve got a 1966 AC B-10. In my service manual it shows 2 grease fittings at the base of steering column underneath the tractor. It looks like two shafts are supposed to extend an inch or so through the tractor with collars & grease fittings on them. The shafts on mine are shorter with no room for a collar. My question is how do I grease the universal joint & the rest of the steering gears buried inside the tractor? What will be the easiest way to get at them? Thanks

Steve I will try to answer this one hopefull correctly. Your tractor probably has the newer steering gear setup then your manual shows. The older style does have 2 grease fittings where your manual states "but" I don't beleive the newer one does. You should be able to remove the right side cover below the battery and get at the steering gears and the u-joints for the shaft. I would have to dig my manual out of hideing to be 100% sure. While the cover is off you might check the flywheel screen to make sure that it is clean and that there is not any grass or any other stuff that would hinder the cooling job of the flywheel. You can also pull the left cover off also and it will make things all the easier. Maybe others can correct or add to this. Best from, >>->happyjack<-<<

Hi, We use a spray can with a nozzle, and either white grease or a grease that sprays on liguid and gels up in aabout 10 seconds, Good luck, Al