Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
stavendirtbike

725 Steering play

stavendirtbike
I have a Simplicity 725 tractor. I can't BELIEVE what I have accomplished with this machine snowblowing the driveway and actually making baseball field-like straight lines mowing the lawn. I actually like to use the mower to it's capabilities and not "store it on the shelf" just because it's a classic. Well when I first received the 725 from my nice neighbor, it had noticable steering play but not bad at all. Here in Connecticut I've been using it alot for plowing my almost 300ft driveway. The steering play is now getting more noticeable. Funny thing is, my MTD lawn machines tractor that I've only had for 1.5 years has MORE steering play than this 40 year old Simplicity. Many of these tractors always have typical steering play. What can be done to free up the play on the 725? I don't think it's within the front end but where the actual steering rod connects with the steering bar (somewhere in that area). Gary

MPH
I'd say check the u-joint on the steering wheel shaft and the arm on the bottom of the steeering gear. The arm has a halfmoon key in it and 2 set screws, they do work loose, mine fell off once. The bolts in the u-joint also seem to work loose in time, esp with rough terraine use. Had the one on my B-112 fall apart out in the woods.

wilm169
For the steering box parts on my 416 [parts not avaible] the dealer said try brand x [john deere] I found the old JD 110 used the same steering box as AC and parts are avaible from them. BOY THAT HURT!!

BillC
Move the steering wheel back and forth just enough to see the play in the steering system but not enough for the front wheels to move. While doing this look at each joint for worn keys, keyways, bolts, spacers and ball joints working your way from the steering wheel down the steering shaft to the u-joint at the bottom of the shaft to the pinion gear to the steering gear to the pitman arm to the rear ball joint to the tie rod to the front ball joint to the LH steering arm to the LH spindle to the drag link to the RH spindle. Worn spindle bushings will also make the steering system act sloppy. On my 725, I found I had a worn keyway between the steering gear shaft and the pitman arm. I machined another key 90 degrees from the original key to tighten the joint up. I also replaced the (2) worn u-joint bolts at the bottom of the steering shaft. These two actions tightened up my steering system.