Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I Want the impossable ?

lzamp11

A proper tractor restoration will cost you from $500 to over $1000. Tractor that is in good restorable condition $200 Engine rebuild $300 Paint $150 Paint Supplies $50 Fastners $50 Transmission Bearings, Gaskets, Bushings $100 Decals $150 Tires $150 Muffler $50 Misc. $50 Total $1,250 I by no means want to discourage you, but you should know that to do the job right you will find yourself spending lots of money. "A job worth doing is worth doing well." Have fun with it, Ryan :)

I've done it before Ryan. Thanks.. But all that investment doesn't seem like that much when spread out a little at a time and the finshed product is the rewared. Lou.

Lou, you hit the nail on the head! Its totally worth it when you see a better than showroom condition tractor that is over 30 years old. Have fun, Ryan :)

Don't think your talking PowerMax prices there Ryan. Rare stock of luck you might find one in somebodies back yard that doesn't know anybetter cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by lzamp11
I've done it before Ryan. Thanks.. But all that investment doesn't seem like that much when spread out a little at a time and the finshed product is the rewared. Lou.
I totally agree I want one of these machines Myself and Want to do the same thing, a little at a time... It might take a while and may cost more then a running machine when I'm done but it would be worth it too me....:D

quote:
Originally posted by rjgoth
A proper tractor restoration will cost you from $500 to over $1000. Tractor that is in good restorable condition $200 Engine rebuild $300 Paint $150 Paint Supplies $50 Fastners $50 Transmission Bearings, Gaskets, Bushings $100 Decals $150 Tires $150 Muffler $50 Misc. $50 Total $1,250 I by no means want to discourage you, but you should know that to do the job right you will find yourself spending lots of money. "A job worth doing is worth doing well." Have fun with it, Ryan :)
Ryan, A good restorable 9020, 4041, 4040, 720, 620 or 616 Powermax will cost between $1200 and $2000. Rebuilt TwinOnan Shortblock = $1800+ Parts to rebuild Hydro = $300-$800 AR if you do it yourself. Tires = $300 Muffler - I haven't priced but I'm sure it would be over $50 Otherwise I think the other prices are in line.:) Hope I didn't burst anyones bubble:D This is a pic of Stan Danielson's (StanD) nicely restored 720: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/pk_picnic18.jpg[/img]

Ryan if you can find any of those tractors for that price let me know as I will take 4 of them.For what I have seen the $1000 to $2000 for a bulider is what I see.Where is Cross Plains Bob

Bob, Cross Plains is about 6 miles north of me and about 11 miles west of Madison. I actually live in the Town of Cross Plains, have a Cross Plains phone, but my address is Mt. Horeb. Paul

That sounds familiar Paul, that's where the wife crashed the truck (1 mile east of Cross Plains). I actually live in the town of Wyoming Valley but my address and telephone is Spring Green. Gotta Love that Wisconsin.

I LOVE the powermax tractors, thats my next tractor if i can find one. MY restoration I tell everyone is a $300 project, but i thinks I am over that. The Landlord was a freebee.

quote:
Originally posted by powermax_paul
quote:
Originally posted by rjgoth
Ryan, A good restorable 9020, 4041, 4040, 720, 620 or 616 Powermax will cost between $1200 and $2000. Rebuilt TwinOnan Shortblock = $1800+ Parts to rebuild Hydro = $300-$800 AR if you do it yourself. Tires = $300 Muffler - I haven't priced but I'm sure it would be over $50 Otherwise I think the other prices are in line.:) Hope I didn't burst anyones bubble:D This is a pic of Stan Danielson's (StanD) nicely restored 720: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/pk_picnic18.jpg[/img]
I agreee...those bigger tractor are alot more to restore...I also would love to have one...but I doubt I ever find a affordable one...

A key to remember here is travel expenses to pick it up, your own time is worth something and your capability to do the work. Remember this too when things get bigger they tend to get more expensive.I have found and met many good people in doing this and larger farm sise tractors. But those large tractors can be expencesive. If you wieght for YOUR deal, and it will come along. You will probably be more satisfied with the results. Till then save up so when it comes along you can jump on it. Thats how I've found most of mine. Good luck as I am sure you are capable of handling anything you set your mind to, Dave.;)

Well, I guess if I come across a good deal on one of these tractors I'll have to grab it . Thanks for all the input. mAKES ME NOW WANT TO RESTORE A MORE AFFORDABLE ONE. :-) :-( kidding, I dont give up that easy.......

quote:
Originally posted by lzamp11
Well, I guess if I come across a good deal on one of these tractors I'll have to grab it . Thanks for all the input. mAKES ME NOW WANT TO RESTORE A MORE AFFORDABLE ONE. :-) :-( kidding, I dont give up that easy.......
Bettter have a budget of $3000 or better for one of those big ones. We told a guy not to buy a 620 at a auction about 18 months ago, even though it ran great at the sale. Told him if he did buy it not to spend more than $800 or so on it. He didn't listen. Paid $2000. 3 weeks later he put another $350 in it. 6 months after that another $500. Three months after than $400 more. Now this spring it looks like another $400. They can run good at a auction, but theres a load of hidden potentials that cannot be investigated at a auction.

Right Sam, Two things to look at when looking to buy a Powermax. 1) Should start and run good from a cold start. 2) Tractor should "jump" when you push the hydrostatic lever.;)