Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Survey

rjgoth

I am curious how many club members have a tractor that they have restored to a condition equal to or better than showroom condition? If not what condition have you restored your tractor to? I think it may be interesting to see to what level people have restored their tractors to. Curious minds want to know. :) Ryan

B-12, restored to nearly new condition. Needs chrome work and a new seat. Other than a gas leak and a few scratches from use, it's good as new.

i'm working on a 710 Allis I won't restore it to New or better then new I just want to Restore it to Decent Condition for use............

I have a 712S that I bought late last summer. Pulled all the tin off, wheels etc. Ground to bare metal, painted everything factory colors. This was my first stab at restoration with an air gun etc. I give myself a 6 out of 10. Things I learned: 1) The farm store paint is junk. Scratches way too easily. 2) I will use a sandable primer this time to hopefully improve the base coat. 3) I will try a different formula of thinner/paint for better shine. 4) I will use hardener this time around. Yes, I am going to do it over. Once you have taken these things apart the first time, it is quick to do it over. So mine is not factory condition, but it looks real nice. Hopefully will look great after second go - around, and I will put decals on.:D

None of my tractors have been put back to showroom condition. "I use them for work machines". They have been repainted to stop the rusting. All three of them have features that were not on the factory machines (usable upgrades). In many ways they are better than factory. I guess if you compare my tractors to cars, then mine are more like "streetrods" than "classic" restorations.

AC712S I bought in good original condition and try to use it and keep it from getting any worse. I think if I give it good care and maintenance it will last a long time and not embarrass me. I would like to have another one to really restore but that is not a priority for me. Dan

None. The 2010 I re-painted is a work tractor, though the photos make it look like factory new. Of the three Broadmoors one was re-painted, one is a project and one parts.

None. The closest i will have is a hybrid simp landlord 3410/ mixed with a homelite t13. That will have a rebuilt BGB, and a new engine with a combination of parts from both tractors. My engine in my MW gardenmark has been gone through 12 years ago. All 3 of the tractors mentioned has or will have a rebuilt mower deck. They are good enough for me. I like them to look "worked in". JH

I try to restore my tractors close or almost close to original condition.^;) With all the parts original to the tractor and original engine that was on the tractor when it left the factory new. Karl

I have restored 4 tractors over the past couple years, B-212 B-112 Simplicity 3112V and a 3212V. Few things were changed that were not original on tem, but I think they work better. All are usable tractors for mowing and movine snow. If they began to look a little shabby, I will do them again. Sandblasted all the parts, used zinc chromate primer, at least 4 coats basecoat and 3 coats clear. Hood, seatdecks and side panels were all buffed to nice shine in my sons body shop.

I restored three, early B10 B12 117 broadmoor. all were sand blasted two are powder coated, One I painted myself. If I do it over [paint is not saisfactory] I'll powder coat as it gives a nice hard finish. Every thing is original except one lightbar and some of the B10 plowhitch etc. I have never used them after this. But drive them around in the yard for fun.

Good question Ryan.... I planning on restoring my '65 Landlord this summer, hopefully to showroom condition...I also have a '66 Broadmoor that may get cleaned up and painted..not sure on that yet... jay

i have one tractor a 725, got it late last year and have not been able to do much work on it yet, have sandblasted the hood,deck,seatpan,and a few other parts that now sit in etching primer. come spring i plan on using sanding primer and spray can paint and working more on the mechanical aspect of getting it back to shape. i hope it will come out looking nice but i plan on using it weekly. i dont think it will ever be a show tractor. regardles of what it looks like i will have a smile from ear to ear when i ride it in the spring :) oh and it needs four new tires....

I have a Broadmoor 717 that I am doing a nice rattle can job on but it will be a working tractor for my son...I have another 717 that I plan to either have powder coated or use a urathane base coat clear coat finish on and it will be my show tractor...I also have a Broadmoor 728 that I plan to redo one day but it will be a working tractor for me so I am unsure of the finish..I have three older Landlords (2-9hp 1964's and a 2010)I plan to make one of these a show..My Wheel Horse is a tractor that my dad bought new and I played on it as a kid so I plan to redo that one for show as well...In fact that one will be my next project as my dad will be 81 this april and I would like for him to see it redone...I may even put my other projects on hold until I get the Wheel Horse done...

HB212 w/ hydrolic lift, fact. headlights, paint, seat, ag tires& weights, engine, BVG, steering, all rebuilt. Just needs decals. But at $100 bucks it might be another 20 years and another restore before it gets them[:0]as this is a weekly used machine. Looks like I'll be adding a 616 to the list real soon.:D