Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gator Blades ??

Kent

Kent, I use the gator blades on my big ten and simplicity shuttle. I also have a set on my grandpas stx38 deere. They work great, chops up grass and leaves better. I don't think they have as much throwing force as a standard blade so i don't know how they would work on the vac. I would recommend getting a set. Have a good one. Steve

I wouldn't trade mine for any other blade bar none. I started using my first set of 3 about 3 years ago and the quality of the steel is first rate and they hold an edge really good. They don't like tall wet grass and you won't like the mess that they leave behind if you do use them that way. I put a home made mulching cover on my landlord's 42" deck and they work really good. I would say that they cut the grass about 40% finer even when I am not mulching. They love dry leaves and even love stones better the bigger the better for throwing those suckers across the yard. I have used them also on my Homelite with its 48" shallow deck and they don't seem to work quite as well as with the deeper deck. I totally agree with Steve about the lack of lift with them and like he said I don't know how well they would work with the vacum system. Kent I really think you would like them from what you have said about your leaves. I don't rake any leaves period since I started using the gator blades and put a cover over the discharge chute they just love to eat anything that you can feed them "if you have enough horse power. Try them you like them and the price is pretty darn good also. And I don't own any stock in the company and I am not a salesman for it either "well not yet anywhy". Best to you Kent and all, >>->happyjack<-<<

I just sharpened my blades over the weekend -- probably for their last season. This brought to mind the relatively new Gator Blades... 1) Has anyone tried them on the old 6" deep 42" (or 48") decks? How well do they work? 2) Have you tried them with a Turbo Vac system? Any additional problems with clogging, etc? 3) How do they work with dry leaves? I'm more interested in what they'd do with dry leaves, as opposed to grass, since I seldom "bag" my grass clippings. But, I have some SERIOUS leaves to deal with each fall....

Mike I have bought mine from my local Simplicity dealer to which he ordered them and I had them 4-5 days later. I am sure one of our sponcers can even get them for you such as Jeff nemes or Jack's small engines or others. I don't have a # and didn't ask for one from my dealer just let him order them. If you don't have any luck just send me an e-mail and I can let you know where I bought mine. >>->happyjack<-<<