Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Floats......

Bunky

I Have taken apart a few of these Carbs of the Cast iron Briggs, everyone I have taken apart the float has been crushed.... I'm not sure how this happens.... Has anyone Tried to solder one of these floats????

I have found them crushed. I think it was caused by water freezing in the fuel bowl. I have also played with fixing them. I put a lit candle in the vise and heated the float a litle. purtty soon a small flame will show up at the leak. Then, after draining the gas out, soldered it with a soldering iron. My preference is a new one.

I can't imagine how the float would get crushed from inside the carb. Never had that happen. I have soldered floats with holes in them and they seemed to work OK.

The float on my 12hp was split like a clam. A new float is not that much, and still available from briggs. One interesting problem after i put my carb back together, (while your ordering parts order a new carb body gasket). The water that had froze and split the float also must have expanded the carb body ever so slightly and the along with the pitting of the inter body it was imposible to get the carb to not drip gas all the time. It dripped all over my new paint job. To fix the leacky carb i had to put a small amount of permatex No.2 gasket sealant on one side of the gasket to stop the slow driping. Good luck hope you dont have the problem I did, but if you do have a gas leak after reassembling try this fix it worked for me. It might be whiz to order a extra gasket.

I never thought of the water freezing and crushing the float... But it makes sense and The ones I have taken apart have had water in them.... I will order arepair kit and float.. I was more or less just curious if others had soldered floats....

Thats something I have never thought of either...I had one that the float was split too...At the time I thought what idiot would put a split float in here,LOL Guess it must have been the water..

Well Guys maybe some of you knew this but I just found out today the floats out of the newer Briggs Twins are the Same as the old Briggs in the Landlords etc....