Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrownA

Simplicity 7016 or 7018

BrownA
Which one of these machines had the twin cylinder Kohler ? Are those engines pretty decent ? What can you tell me about the engine and the tractor ? I might know where there is one with a blown engine. I don't know the price yet. I searched the site but didn't find much info so I figured I would ask for opinions. Any 8)help is appreciated as allways. Thanks, Alan

maxtorman1234
Neither had the twin cylinder Kohler. From what i've heard, the 18HP single in the 7018 is real troublesome. The 16's are great. They started using the twins in the 900/7100 series. They are great engines, we bought ours new in 87, no work at all done to it since, bet it has over 3000 hours on it. Really powerful, great reliable engines. It would probably be worth getting, and just putting a 16 into it. They are great engines too.

Dutch
Al, As far as I know the 7016 had a 16hp Briggs cast iron flat head single. The 7018 had an 18hp Kohler K-series single. However, unlike the other flat head K-series, the 18hp was OHV. It supposedly was sort of "experimental." I've never had any experience with the 18hp. Just like everything else, some owners like them others don't. Parts for the 18hp are reportedly hard to find.

BLT
From what I read if previous posts, the cyl head (Kohler) was the Achilies Heel. Further reading into to it was the lack of maintence around head, i.e., poor air flow causing the head to crack. They did away with the single cylinder OHV engine but now have the V twin both in OHC and OHV. I have a 20 HP OHV V twin and I notice the air is not flowing as good, one bank compared to the other. Now if I don't get at taking off the sheet metal and cleaning things up, I too might end up with a cracked head.