Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck rebuilding Mistake

nighteye

About a year ago, I rebuilt my 60" Powermax mowerdeck and a 42" Allis Chalmers deck from a 410. I usually replace most of the hardware (nuts,bolts,spacers and washers)with stainless steel. It makes it nice to work on in later years. This time I replaced the roller bar with stainless also. Im in the process of getting it ready for Spring and notice that the bar has worn the holes in the mounts into slots. It must be that the stainless is much harder than the mounting holes. Should that bar even be turning? Or are the rollers supposed to be turning on the bar? I wonder? Was stainless a mistake? Thanks for any ideas that could be shared.

Stainless in high torque areas could be a nono. While it doesnt corrode, its shear strength is lower than case hardened steel. It could be that the threads are "pulling" slightly on you. Hope that helps...hey I actually learned something in metallurgy!

The rollers are supposed to be turning on the bar. I probably wouldnt have used stainless for the bar, just all the other nuts and bolts. Is sure is nice working with stainless years after.

Get some 3/8 by 2" flat, rebore holes to 5/8" & cut off 2 inches & weld new pieces on original down plates. Will be just like new. StanD

The stainless was a good idea. it is harder than the cold rolled In the diagram below the roller bar in red the right hand upright is welded to the bar. The bar slides thru the 2 middle ones and the left side one the rollers roll on the bar. The bar is not supposed to turn.

I used a 1/2" steel rod for the roller bar and cut a slit down a piece of 1/2" pvc and slid the pvc down the bar. The rollers went on top of the pvc pipe. I have not done a field test as of yet. but hopefully this spring I will be able to do a field test. My thought was that the pvc will let the rollers move with less friction. I will then replace the pvc when the time comes. My hope is that it will wear good enough for a season or two. They say "don't fool with mother nature" only time will tell if the change was good or bad. John H

Wow; Thanks a ton for all the help!! This morning I have a problem, this afternoon I have lots of answers and can even spell metalurgy. What a great place to be. Ken