Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 312 PTO Belt

Pete

I just replaced the PTO belt (manual power take off) on by Allis 312. I used a simplicity 108209 as that's what my dealer recommended. The belt seems loose and pops off when I disengage the mower. I adjusted the guides to within 1/8" of the belt but it still comes off. Can anyone tell me if this belt was the correct belt? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Pete

Are talking about the belt that runs off the front of the engine down over the idlers to the mower deck?? I don't think Simplicity made belt for this. That is strickly an AC belt. This front engine drive system for the mower deck is exclusive to the 300 and 400 ACs only (no Simplicity equivalent). Any other ideas?? MS

The PTO runs off the front of the engine and the belt is threaded down over the idlers and then to the mower deck. I think I found the solution! I removed two side panels and found an adjustment spring for the idler pulley's. I loosened the set screw and slid the arm backward. The belt slack tightened and I think it will do the trick. Question? How do I know how tight to adjust the belt? Is there any rule of thumb that works well? Thanks Pete

Trial and error - make tight enough so that belt doesn't come off but also so slack that it disengages in both cutting and transport positions.