Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

728 spinning

Bear

Neighbor has a 728 with snowblower on. It has chains and axle weight. Just spins going forward but going backwards is fine. What do we need more weight.Not sure if axle would take that much.Has new style wieghts with plastic coating on.

They made a rear weight @ 49 lbs and it could have two collars added to it @ 21 lbs each. Total weight about 91 lbs. Personally I get cautious about putting wheel weights on those little transmissions. Frame weights are the way to go in my book. My opinion anyhow.

I run the rear pin-on and two collar weights plus wheel weights...Pin-on is 49# collar weights at 21# each and 20# each wheel weights...2link chains is a must on these small tires as well..One of my Broadmoors has 4 link and with all those weights it still don't go real well...I still get some slippage with all the weights and 2 link chains but it does ok..The biggest problem I belive is the wide tires...I don't seem to have a problem until I get a packed down build up of snow then it slips worst...I think it does a good job for a little tractor though...I pull a bigger cart with side racks full of fire wood up hill with mine every week...It slips less for some reason in first gear..

I agree with mowerman on the wide tires I have a 707 with narrow rear wheels and chains with no weight , I only have a gravel driveway and it does really nice with just a little slipping .

Yes I do have a cross link or 2 missing I think on the one side...I really don't think they are even the right size for those tires..One side I can't get any tighter and its still a little on the loose side...and the other side is so tight they don't move at all...I got some new chains a couple years ago for my other Broadmoor for Christmas but they are 4 link and do worst than these with that big gap...Next year I plan to ad more links to the new set as they are the right size and mount on tight...