Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well this aint good!!!!

ehertzfeld

I was trying to tear down the carb on the 7hp Briggs. when the needle seat broke. Can you still get rebuild kits for these? "god I hope so" If so, were and how much? Thanks Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/carb.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/carb2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/carb3.jpg[/img]

I bought kits for model 243431 "10hp" about a month ago about 20$ and should be able to be ordered at a simplicity dealer or any briggs dealer. Might be hard to get out, if so a replacment carb may be avalable. :D

If that white corrosion has pitted the inside of the carb and covered the interior surfaces, a new carb is going to be needed. I've thrown away a half dozen all crusted up inside in the last few months.

I've had them break like that. Be careful getting it out. I think I hadf to drill it and then use an easy-out, Good Luck. With that much corrision that may have been part of your problem. Mike

I didnt think that the inside was too bad. You tell me. It's not pitted but just a coating. If I have to get a new carb, are these still availible new? how much? Thanks Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/carb4.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/carb5.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/carb6.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by wasmeneh
I've had them break like that. Be careful getting it out. I think I hadf to drill it and then use an easy-out, Good Luck. With that much corrision that may have been part of your problem. Mike
Thanks Mike, I thought that was the way to get it out. BTW I didnt have this motor running. I got this a few weeks ago and am doing a full restore on it "65 broadmoor" if you didnt see the pic's, check them out on the "show and tell" "what did I start" is the topic. Elon

If its not pitted and you can get all that corrosive material out of it go ahead and use it. I havn't found anything yet that removes that white stuff, maybe someone else here has a product recommendation that will do the job..??

Sam, I have a very old gallon of carb cleaner. When I scored that 16hp briggs last fall, the carb bowl was filled to the float with that white stuff, I took it apart and dropped it in the basket for a couple days, or so, and it came out so clean I had a hole in the bottom of the bowl, whick I JB'ed. I emery'ed the needles, put it together and it run fine. Before I use the engine I'll do a good rebuilt to the carb though. These old briggs carbs seem to be pretty forgiving to back woods temorary repairs.

I have used laquer thinner on small patches of it and it took it off okay. It's just a bit(highly) flammable and will give you a bad headache without proper ventilation.

I agree with Marty...I would buy a gallon can of carb cleaner and just put the carb in the can and let it soak for a day...I think it will clean up nice

I've soaked carbs in carb cleaner for hours (days?) and the jets still would not come out. A shot of penetrating oil (WD-40), a few minutes, and the jets come out easily. Carb cleaner does an excellent job of cleaning but seems to me like it doesn't soak into threads like a penetrating oil does. My experience.

Good auto parts store sell a carb cleaner that you submerg the parts in. It's a little pricey but worth it. set the parts in and come back in a couple a days and dissasemble it and let it set a few more. I've had really good results. BE CAREFUL this stuff will take the hide off you.

Ultrasonic cleaning will free the oxides and the penetrating oil will assist in getting that broken needle stem seat. i would consider using a hammer drill with a easyout chucked up.