Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bent rod in a 16hp vanguard grrr

TomMaryland

I was scraping ice the otehr day when i noticed a few oil spots on the driveway. The next day when I started up the tractor to bring it into the garage to check out, it was running rough, like on 1 cylinder. Well... pulled the first valve cover, and voila.. a bent intake rod, as well as a pulled valve seal! after uttering a few words of $%^#%^*^&**!!! }:), I noticed I dont have a spring compressor. Gonna go get one tomorrow and tear into the cylinder head. Should I buy both rods? I'll have to get two new valve seals. The plug was wet, and smelled like gas and oil. By the by, the local briggs shop did a valve job on this guy a couple years ago...and screwed it up badly, rocker arm support in backwards, no valve clearance, cover gasket hanging half out..a real mess.. I'm thinking I should tear both heads off and start from scratch here. Its a 92 broadmoor, engine # 303777. Any thoughhts as usual are greatly appreciated 8D

Hi My experience has been that when these engines bend pushrods, about 8 out of 10 we end up pulling the heads and cleaning the valve stems and the guides out. Usually they have a varnish build up on and in them and this causes the problem. I believe it happens when the valve doesn't follow the lifter back and the pushrod gets slack and then falls off the rocker arm. We have put some back together and then purged the engine with something like Marvel mystery oil or diesel fuel. We usually get the engine warm and then put the juice in until the engine dies. We let it set for several hours and when you do this you will have clouds of smoke, be sure the neighbors don't call the fire dept. I think it has gotten us by in a number of these. If they bend another one, we just pull the head. We use Goodsen wire brushes and solvent in the guides. Pistol cleaning brushes and rods will work just as well. Most of the engines we see with this problem have fins plugged and have had above normal head temps. Good luck, Al Eden

Thanks Al, I suspected a trend on these.. Jeff, no, they weren't the outfit your referring to. The shop in question is up at the north end of Blueball Rd. Father owned, son running it into the dirt, as I have since found out! By any chance are you the Jeff N. who went to Cecil VoTech, graduating in '80? Your name sounds familiar..

Yeah Tom, Thats me. Went to Paul Vents funeral with Bill F. quite a few years ago. I know the outfit you are referring to. I paid way too much for a wheel horse there about 20 years ago. Nick

Nice to see you Jeff!! I didn't learn about Paul V until way too late. We should get together sometime, ok? I just got done yanking the head, cyl # 2, its nasty! piston needs cleaned, but looks ok. valves and head are soaking.. I got prices for rods and seals today.. Oh by the way, I pulled the other valve cover.. THAT place also put the push rods in the wrong place ( Steel was in the exhaust, alum in intake ). Just for fun, I got a price on a new head complete with all for $ 105. Is that too much for a head with all the trimmings? More to come, I'm sure..

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I got it all back together last night and fired it up! purrs like a kitten again! I took both cylinder heads off, cleaned them and the pistons, cleaned the valves, new seals, gaskets, etc. Oh, and also, the second cylinder had two head bolts loose ( the tow inside the valve cover). Never again to that shop do I go! }:)