Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BAP

Bevel Gearbox Help Needed

BAP
I have a 3415 that the bevel gearbox went on. I purchased a used one for it. Before I install it I wanted to know how much play should there be in the shafts? When you turn the input shaft, how much should it move before the output shafts turn? Can you take up the looseness by shimming? I don't want to install this and have it give out prematurely. Right now I can turn the input shaft about 1/8" to 1/4" before the output shaft turns. Thanks BAP

BLT
I think SmilinSam made a post where using the PTO side pulley in place the blacklash should be in area of 1/16" to 1/8". On the side opposite the PTO is where the shimming is done. The shims are external and according to the book you should have about 1/2 the thickness of the thick shim exposed before you attach the side plate. That is supposed, I'm guessing, to give you the correct shim crush and gear backlash when you attach the plate. No other place is mentioned of what the rotational backlash should be. And when you look it over, I don't know where you could make it an easy answer. Both my 7010 and 3112 are in the 1/16 to 1/8 area as I have got into the habit of checking it every year.

D-17_Dave
I think too that if the shaft "slips" a little while you have it out due to both side of the cross shaft not being trapped it may give you a false reading of play. 1/4 turn sounds like a lot to me.