Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ikipp

How good are Simplicity V belts

ikipp
Has anyone found v belts as good as simplicity v belts? Over the years I've tried various industrial v belts. They never seem to work out nearly as good as the simplicity v belts. I wonder who makes the simplicity v belts. Also, when I measured the belts they don't always measure exactly what the book specification are. I wonder if someone is fudging on the measurements. That way when buying another brand of belt (not simplicities) the new belts aren't exactly the same. So we may not be comparing apples to apples. Could this be a simplicity idea to make sure we purchase the expensive simplicity v belts.

Tacey
Time & again this topic comes up. Each time, the consensus is that, for many reasons, the genuine Simplicity belts are cheaper in the long haul. I have run only Simplicity brand belts in my 3 years of Simplicity ownership. I've never worn a belt out. Tacey

MDB
Like Tacey said Simplicity belts are cheaper in the long haul. Seems like the aftermarket mowergrade belts that I have bought over the years last about half as long (or less...) as a genuine Simplicity belt.

UCD
How good are Simplicity V belts? They are the best belts you can buy for the application. Yes one Simplicity belt cost more in most cases than one after market belt, but one Simplicity belt cost less than 3 or 4 or maybe more aftermarket belts. Your Choice.

iweld
I have a 67 Landlord that I put a gates power rated belt on the trans. It's been on there for 4+ years, and still looks good. I once tried one of these on the 1/4 twist deck drive and it rolled off the pulleys. (Big suprise) This was about 10 yrs ago. About two summers ago, I was caught without a spare Simp. belt, so I thought I would give the Gates belt another shot. Been on since. I think the Simplicity belts are over rated. Of course every drive configuration on the machine goes against the belt rules. DON'T BACK BREAK A BELT with an idler pulley. This is why belts don't last.

UCD
Two pulleys and a clutch and not changeing angle of direction are one thing. Around 2 v pullies and 1 or 2 v idlers and a couple backside flat idlers and changeing direction as much as 180° is a completly different story. There is no aftermarket V belt that will stand up to it. They are not designed for it, Simplicity belts are.

Cal
Simplicity belts are enginered for each specific application,such as backside idlers or clutching belts the cords and coering materials are different. Nomatter what make you have you should always use original eqip. bblts. Cal

Tacey
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
How good are Simplicity V belts? They are the best belts you can buy for the application. Yes one Simplicity belt cost more in most cases than one after market belt, but one Simplicity belt cost less than 3 or 4 or maybe more aftermarket belts. Your Choice.
Plus the time & effort of chasing down the belt and installing it. Tacey

SimpleMan
I know of quite a few instances in my local area of guys who wanted to "save" the money and try the off brand belts. After a certain amount of convincing they finally decided to spend the extra money, and had much better results. For myself, it depends on the application. I had to replace my hydrostatic belt, and used an aftermarket replacement, which seems to holding up quite well. (It's still going strong after 2 seasons). However, on any of my attachments (mower, snowthrower and vacuum collector), I use nothing but OEM. Yes...they cost more, but they work.