Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers hydro's

Bunky

I'm just curious I have seen a few post on here but never really read them... Whats the down falls or problems with the Vickers?????

• 2 weeks later...
Mine used to pour out when its running. Id be happy if mine only went "drip drip". It just poured out of mine till we found a teporary fix on it starting to leak again, but not effecting fluid level much. Looks like i wont be getting it fixed, so Who knows what'll happen to my 416[V]

One down fall is the Pintle leaks when the engine is running. I have 3 tractors with vickers hydro's & only one has this problem now.Also in reverse the tractor moves slow. Karl

My tractor is great in reverse. Only because The locking lever was a real nusance to me, so I removed it which allowed me to pull the lever full back, for full reverse. I go the same speed in forwards and reverse:D Its great, although you have to hold the lever all the time when you're using it, and theres no nutral, so it creeps very quickly into reverse[:0]. Almost lost it a few timesxx(. Sure is scary when its creeping that fast. I now have to shut it off every time I get off it. Thinking about drilling a hole in the lever and putting a bolt in it, so it will lock into the other hole and stay in forwards/neutral.

The power steering pump on the old jeep was leaking so I put a little break fluid in it to swell the seals. It worked and that was two years ago.

usually when pintle leaks it is more than just a bad oring housing bore is worn.scale of job is a 7 out of a ten.other than that they are pretty bulletproof.Ive done maybe 5 of them and on 2 of them, an oversize oring wouldnt even fix them,,.

Is there a manual that shows the Breakdown on the Vickers pump?? I thought there was one posted a while back but did a search and couldn't seem to find it...

I TOOK MY 416 VICKER HYDO TO MACHINE SHOP .HAD PINTLE HOLES DRILL OUT AND HAD BUSHING MADE AND PRESS IN >. STOP MY LEAK. I HAVE ONE FOR SALE ON THIS SITE IT HAS A PROMBLE.IT IS ONE THAT I HAD FIXED I HAVE A SIMPLICITY MANUEL ON VICKER HYROSTATIC UNITS DISASSEMBLY AND RE-ASSEMBLY I

Bunky, I pulled some of this information from one of UCD's previous posts. This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php In the part # box type in 500 and you will get a list of the manuals. You can then use Edit-Find in Top Window from your browser to quickly search on either key words or a specific model number. A quick glance down the page located these manuals. My experience is to right click on the "View PDF" and Save Target As, then save it to your computer for ready access and printing. Some of them can take some time to download. The Vickers Repair Manual is probably what you want to see. I did not specifically download the other two I've posted, but if I remember right, they will also include Vickers repair information. REPAIR MANUAL - RM/PTS Vickers Hydro Transmisson http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_2926_00_SK_S.pdf REPAIR MANUAL - Allis Chalmers "B" Series http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A.pdf REPAIR MANUAL - Large Frame Garden Tractor REPAIR MANUAL (Sovereign, Early Landlord, Early Baron, 7000, 7100 Series) http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_973_01_SV_SMA.pdf

I rebult my weak leaky Vicker with some home-made gaskets and an o-ring assortment from Nappa Auto. Worked great just traced and cut out from old gaskets. Although Attica hydraulics has a seal kit for $80 and offers rebuilt Vickers to. I guess it just depends on where it is leaking from. The Pintle is the killer no bearing just a seal in this model. Vickers was bought out by Eaton.

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
My tractor is great in reverse. Only because The locking lever was a real nusance to me, so I removed it which allowed me to pull the lever full back, for full reverse. I go the same speed in forwards and reverse:D Its great, although you have to hold the lever all the time when you're using it, and theres no nutral, so it creeps very quickly into reverse[:0]. Almost lost it a few timesxx(. Sure is scary when its creeping that fast. I now have to shut it off every time I get off it. Thinking about drilling a hole in the lever and putting a bolt in it, so it will lock into the other hole and stay in forwards/neutral.
Doesn't sound to safe to me.....

Nope, thats why i fixed it:D. I replaced the top screw that holds the guide on, with a longer one, I can tighten it by hand, and keep it in neutral or forwards now. It can be a pain, takes some getting used to. Ither than that, works good

I like the locking lever on mine, it was put there for safety purposes and should not be messed with....;)