Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dads707

Hose

dads707
Got some 8 in. hose for Vac. unit on my 728 over the weekend. Would rather have had the 7 and 6 in. stuff that came on it, but the price was right, free.. I will get adapters. Will it hurt the suction on the vaccum??

D-17_Dave
The larger the diam. of the hose the slower the air travels through it. Therefor it may hurt you more than you think. Does'nt seem like much diff. but the rad. increase goes up more than just an inch;ie double the diam of the circle and it will come close to tripleling the amount inside the circle. Did i make any sence? Somebody with an education help me out here. A big diff. from the 6" verses the 8". It will still work, but the air flow speed will be cut down due to the extra volumn inside the hose. Therefor decreaseing the ability for the vac to suck everything up.

Dutch
Theoretically, suction shouldn't change unless one end of the hose is open like with a roving nozzle. The problem you may have with using adapters is clogging. The 8" hose will fill and then have to push through the 6" or 7". What the heck. If the hose was free, try it.

dhardin
From my experence you will need to use your 8" on the inlet and a smaller pipe on the outlet. The pressuer of the blower to move the heavy grass is the smaler size of the output. Try this, blow out your mouth with it closed to a small hole. (you can blow out a candle). now try to blow out a candle with the same lung pressue with your mouth open wide. (volume is not possable to blow out a candle). The small pipe on the output is what will keep it from cloging and what will move the grass and leafs into your collector wagon. In fact the 8" on the inlet is a good thing. With the speed of the grass leaving the deck and the speed of the blower, you will not have any problem this a larger pipe. It will be able to handle a larger volume. Of all my grass vacuming the only problem i have is geting a stick cross wise in the outlet pipe and clogging just as it leaves the pipe into the collector box. But I am using a corrugated 6" feild pipe from blower to collector box. (see my homemade AC blower on my Craftsman in my profile pics) Its 7" in and 6" out, work great. If you use 8" to 6" you be ok, just get a smooth seem for your adapter 8" into the blower, so there is not a place for lager amount of grass to stall befor going into the blower.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
Try this, blow out your mouth with it closed to a small hole. (you can blow out a candle). now try to blow out a candle with the same lung pressue with your mouth open wide. (volume is not possable to blow out a candle).
If you try dhardin's experiment, please post some photos.