Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

fuel pump rebuild

ChuckR

Any tips on rebuilding a fuel pump for a Kohler 301? Looked pretty straight forward. Put it together and now engine will not run. Bypass pump and it runs OK. Thanks

I dont claim to be a mechanic, but will try anything, and my first fuel pump was the one your working on. My big mistake was using that blue silicone gasket maker in a couple places. The engine fired up, then quit. That blue stuff was all over in the pump,lines and carb when I tore it down. Opps. Ken

ChuckR, As Maynard said, you can install the kit and reverse the inlet and outlet. I know from experience. nighteye, None of the RTV type sealants is compatable with gasoline. A friend did that on his race car, and I had to clean his carb out four times before all the blue RTV was purged from the fuel system.

Did not use silicone. Hoses were left in place. Is it posible to put the top half on backwards? I will look at it again this weekend. Thanks for the replies.

ChuckR, The part that has the ckeck valves in it can be turned 180 degrees, reversing the inlet and outlet of the pump. I was fussing about the lines being on the wrong sides of the pump to a friend, when he said that all you have to do is turn the valve block around to switch the inlet and outlet positions. Guess what? I had taken it apart to check out the insides, and put it back together wrong. Check the pump by putting your finger over the tube and pumping with the priming lever to see which are the suction and discharge connections. I'm betting that yours are reversed.