Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42 inch snow blower

RickS

I need some advice. During the last storm, my blower stopped blowing snow and started producing a grinding noise. Taking the left side cover off I discovered the problem. The gear on the end of the auger shaft had come off. The set screw was missing and the gear had backed off the shaft. I picked up a new gear, set screw and key. I replaced and tightened the bolts that hold the bearing in place. One bolt was missing, another had no nut, and the third was loose. I checked both bearings and they appear to be good. No noise, nice and smooth. I had to loosen the four bolts that allow one to adjust the chain tension. At this point the gear is on and the chain is on the two gears. I have not tested it yet because I think the chain is too loose. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to tighten the chain up? And how tight should the chain be? While doing the above repairs I notices a crack or split in the metal. The back of the blower appears to be separating from the side plates. Can this area be welded? And if so what precautions should the welder take. (Note I don't have a welder, so I will be taking the blower to someone who can weld.) Thanks in advance for any help. Rick........

There should be some adjustment on the drive shaft ("V" pulley and small sprocket). Loosen up adjustment nuts and slide shaft back evenly to take out all the slack (droop). If you are all the way back and still have droop then you need a new chain. If not tighten up nuts and you're good to go. On the housing I have seen, for the lack of better words, stress cracks show up. This can be blamed on numerous things. If the cracks are just forming a good welder should be able to close them up. I have seen walk behind snowblowers that have had cracks in the blower housing for years with no ill effect.

BLT, Thanks for the advice. I did loosen the four nuts on the driveshaft, are there more? Even with those four loose the driveshaft would not move. I think I must have missed one or more. Rick..........

Maynard, Thanks for the instructions. I will read them over several times and then try and re-adjust my chain. thanks again Rick..........