Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

608LT

maxtorman1234

I have a chance to pick up a 608LT with no engine, the deck is there, Is it worth getting? I have never really used belt driven tractors, what are these like? How do they cut? THanks for all information

I think that would be the same as a 4208?I had a 4211 and it was a good tractor but they are a light duty tractor..and I would only use one for mowing and maybe a blower but I think a blade would be to much for one...

I think it could also be a broadmoor type tractor with the pivoting frame. I have an older broamoor and it cut really well. If its free I'd get it. If its one with the pivoting frame it would have a cast iron transmission, nice and heavy. Make sure the frame pivot isn't froze up. If it is froze I'd advise against getting it.

Graham, the 608LT should be the same as the Simplicity 4108. Three speed, 36" deck and pivoting front axle. I have a 4108 and I like it. I also use a 42" dozer blade on mine and it does good, just need some rear weight. I use my 4212H to mow with and the cut is good, no striping though.

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
... I have never really used belt driven tractors, what are these like? ...
Aren't most Simp/A-C tractors "belt drive"? I have a newer Broadmoor (built around 1978) with belt drive, which is like the 608LT in question. Strong, reliable system. I also have a much newer Landlord (built aroung 1997) with belt drive. Strong, reliable system. Tacey

None of my tractors are truly belt driven. They have a horizontal shaft the the bevel gearbox, and a belt from there. I didnt get it, but thanks for everyones input. I couldnt beleive how small they were. Wasnt too bad shape, but It was too small for me.