Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pulling Oil Seal

rahmes

Has anyone tried pulling and replacing an oil seal without tearing down and removing the shaft? I have a 7790 Diesel and when the transmission started leaking last summer, I tore it down and replaced all seals and gaskets. After getting it all back together, I discoverd that there was a small leak in the oil seal around the shaft that the brake is mounted on. I think that there must have been a burr or rough spot on the shaft that snagged the rubber on the seal as I pushed it through. Anyway, I would like to try to replace it without disassembling the whole thing again. Any thoughts?

I took one out of my BGB one time for the same reason I used a snap-on cotter pin puller to pull it out and when I replaced it I cut the corner off a plastic bag and slipped it over the shaft, once the seal was in place, it came out easily and helped to protect the seal from the sharp edge on the key way slot.

I have done this more than once...... method 1 drill a small hole (or holes) in metal of the seal then use a button hook pick inserted in the hole to remove the seal. An alterate to this is to use a sheet metal screw in the hole, as you thread the screw in it should pull the seal out. In either scenario you must be careful when drilling and threading screws to not damage anything behind the seal like a bearing or bushing. Method 2 use a small screwdriver drive through the metal part of the seal and pry out the seal. Be careful to not damage the seal area of the shaft or damage whats behind the seal as in the first method. It is imperative to use caution with either method to not cause damage to the shaft or the bushing or bearing behind the seal. Good luck and happy tractoring!

[url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18062[/url] Marty here is a link to my article describing axle replacement. Rick good idea on the plastic I've used it before with axle seals.:D