Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 or 4041 ?

ikipp

Hi guys, I bought my 4040 a few weeks back and I'm still far to excited by it. Tonight I noticed a couple of odd things that don't exactly make sense to me. The ID number on my tractor is 953001228; is this a 4040 or a 4041? The engine model is a CCKB. The transmission does not have the transmission check cock as specified in the owners manual, on page 25, for a 4040. It does have a dipstick as part of the filler plug. I'm starting to think I've got a 4041. Trying to figure this out. What do you think it is.

The 4040 has CCKA, 16 HP. The 4041 has a CCKB. They are interchangable, so a CCKB could have been put in a 4040. Allot of folks also put the CCKB manifolds on CCKA's which takes them up to 20 HP too. Hopefully, someone will be able to ID it for you exactly with your serial number.

Dipstick on the tranny tells me its a 4041 as would the CCKB. Seems unlikely the tranny and engine would have been swapped out. Maybe its a 4041 with a 4040 hood. Not sure the CCKB manifold would work under the 4040 hood.

The first 3 numbers 953 are the last 3 numbers of the MFG# 990953. The last 6 numbers are the serial # 001228. A Power Max MFG# 990953 is a 1970 - 1974 Power Max 4041.

Hey Kipp, Sounds like that 'Admin' Guy's done it AGAIN and ya owe him a Coffee!!! (LOL) Isn't that one of the GREAT things about this site! (Thanks Maynard!!) JP

Your absolutely right. If I ever forget to say it, "you guys are great for maintaining and keeping up this site". My hats off to you for a job, very well done. And thanks also, Kip

MPH was correct on the "dipstick" portion. The 4040 had a plug to add oil but no dipstick attached to the plug. It's not unlikely that someone could have swapped it out though. What is the engine code number? Just my opinion, but I have seen enough of these Powermax tractors to believe that the serial number on the side of the tractor is not always an indication of the year made. I have bought two different 9020's (?) where the serial number indicated it was a different model than the motor or the year sworn bought by the original owner (one still had the original dealer sales receipt). I began thinking that the tunnel/frames were built (and stamped with a serial number) but not used until later years as needed by buyer demand. Not trying to start an argument, but there seems to be some disparity here and there.

Hi Guys; Well now I'm totally confused. Is there any reliable way to know what model I have. Or am I just spittin in the wind. Based on the frame number, engine model and installed tranny she should be a 4041. The seller said it was a 4040 and he gave me his owners manual which says 4040. I guess its another of those simplicity quirks I'll just have to live with.

My 4040 says 4040 on the hood decal. Not sure if the 4041 had the raised runner in the hood like the 4040's did for the air intake or not. Seen pictures of 9020's that don't have it.

I wouldn't complain you got the newer model larger engine and other up grades. Was the person you bought it from the original owner. I would go by the MFG# which says it is a 4041.

Kipp, the bottom line looks like you have a 4041 as all the ID tag info points to that so you can feel comfortable referring to it that way. Most likely it sustained some hood damage and the only hood readily available was a 4040 version. Knowing you purchased it as a 4040 and finding out later you really have a more valuable 4041 is a nice surprise!

Kipp, another thing to look for is the hydraulic control. The 4040 had a single control lever and the 4041 has dual levers. This lets you raise and lower the front and rear attachments seperately. I hope it's the 4041. I think it's a better tractor. I have a AC 616 which is the same as the 4040. It would be nice to have the dual controls. Also the 4040 didn't come with the front hydraulic hook-ups,but the 4041 did. Good luck with your new tractor no matter what it is!

Simplicity/Allis reminds me of when I used to race motocross. I rode a German bike called Maico. They would ship their bikes in pairs. You'd think they'd be 'Siamese', not exactly. One would have a different seat, gas tank, point cover (etc) than the other! I am beginning to think that Simp/Allis did the same. What EVER they had, they used! I've seen some 4040's with no trace of front hydraulic hook ups. The extra(?) hookup was a dealer installed kit (4 connections in front). I've had 720's with one lift lever & 620's with two! Go Figure!! JP

Guys another question. I'd like to get this 4041 as close to original as I can. Did all 4041 have a scoop on the hood. Do you think any 4041 had the hood with no scoop?

No 4041's did not have a scoop only the 4040 had the hood scoop. The 4041 had no hood scoop. Look at the hood diagrams I posted. If your hood has a scoop it is off from a 4040.

Say Maynard, been wondering where you got the info that 4041's were built in in 1970? Earliest I see in the history section and 'whats new' is the 4040 in 1972 and the 4041 in '73. What got me wondering was if 4041 were built as far back as '70, what year is my 4040. Actually, I was in the whats New section looking at what came as front tires on the PowrMax's.

Well thats interesting Maynard. Wonder if the 4040/616 were still only made for one year. Anyone know if the first four didget of Onan serial #'s are date of Manf.? Looking at mine, it starts with 0571. Manybe someone with orginal paper work on thiers could shed some light on dating PowrMax's.