Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ikipp

4041 or 9020 axel-to do or not to do.

ikipp
Well I need to start on my steering tightning up work on the 4041. Talked to SLI and they informed me that the 9020 used a little bit heavier axle and spindles and maybe tie rods. Should I upgrade to the 9020 parts if I can get them. Is it worthwhile to upgrade or are the orginal designed 4041 steering parts strong enough?

UCD
Any chance you get to upgrade parts you should do it. Especially if upgraded parts will fit in place of original parts. The other consideration is if additional parts will be need for the repair and the upgrade and their cost. This has to be weighed against how much and for what the tractor will be used. The biggest decision of all is how much are you able and willing to put into the repair/upgrade.

JP
Hi Kipp, I would agree w/Maynard. If you're talking new parts, hope your credit's good! (LOL) I know of a few members looking for parts & most are NLA. The last 'generation'of axle 'stuff'(one key, taper fit spindle $ round arm)is NOT interchangable with the old style (two key slip fit spindle & pitman arm), Niether is the axle as the stops are quite didderent. You might get 'lucky' if someone's parting out a newer unit. The only time I would worry (even if then...) is using a loader AND turf tires. That puts on HECK (?) of a load on those components. I think I mentioned before, there's a member that re-does the front spindles & keyways. If you get to that point, I'll look him up. Take Care, JP

arnoldir
I've posted wanted ads for those very same components and have had no luck !! My 720 is an early build and does not have the heavier parts, it's really sloppy but still does the job and I have a loader on it and have loaded it to the point she could just barely lift it on many ocassions.

Vic
Kipp, I'd keep what you've got as it should be heavy enough to handle the snow blower attachment you've got on it. You'd need to try to swap out a complete front end of a 9020/720 to do it and think those parts are going to be very hard to come by.

JimS
If you want to tighten up your steering I would check for play in the 2 axle support bushings, slop in the steering gear box, and loose steering gear mounting bolts. I don't think the heavy duty spindles would make much difference in steering tightness, if that is what you are trying to fix.