Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bud119195

starter problem

bud119195
I have a 707 broadmoor with a 8 hp briggs that keeps wearing the plastic gear of the starter, will too big of a battery cause it to spin to fast and wear it out? The battery is a small automotive battery.

MTklein
I just had the same problem with my 3415H. If it is wearing out the inside spiral, then the drive spiral might have a bur on it or need replacing. (So I am told) If it is wearing out the teeth (like mine was) It is CRUCIAL for the starter to be secured and aligned. Make sure the mounting bolts are tight, and most importantly (this was my prob.) make sure the rear mounting strap is installed and holding the starter from torquing sideways when cranking. Also there could be a bur or broken tooth on the aluminum flywheel, but again, local Sim. dealer says unlikely. They are pretty tough, and its easier to replace a 4 dollar plastic gear than a Al. flywheel. One more thing, are you installing the new gears properly? with the beveled tooth side toward the large flywheel? To ease engagment. These are things I just learned trying to fix my problem, and if your setup is similiar, I hope it helps you to find yours.

tanman722001
Hi,I agree with MTklein.but i have seen the flywheel gear worn out or broken teeth on it.So i would check the flywheel gear too and make sure the starter gear is on right.and that it the starter is on tight.Tony

mowerman1193
I have burned them up because of what I belive was a low battery...If the starter don't spin over fast enough to move the gear up quickly it will wear it out... Maybe I had a different problem but I had a tractor that I had a hard time getting started in the cold and I chewed up that gear..Always in the winter time I would have to change that gear...

bud119195
I checked flywheel it is fine motor is only 5 yrs. old. I dont have to wory about the gear any more because starter is now junk .magnet inside of housingbroke in a 100 pieces so now i have to replace it.

HubbardRA
When you install the new one, mount the starter with the engine shroud removed, then run the starter gear up the bendix till it bottoms out. Make sure it is than aligned with the center of the flywheel gear. If it goes up too far, or stops short the loads will chew the teeth off. I had one that was going too far. A few shim washers cured the problem.

MTklein
Bunky, I think mine used to have one too.:) Thats what puzzled the local dealer, till I showed him a pic of my tractor. He said someone retroed it or put in a different engine. Oh well, not original but plows snow like crazy! Like mowerman said, you have to make sure the battery is fully charged, the choke is pulled out, push the pedal releasing the hydro and all conditions are right to start it in the cold! Last time it stripped I had 5 inches in the drive and it was still snowing, roads were to bad to drive to buy a new one, so what the heck since it only stripped half of the gear, engagement and depth wise I turned the gear around (bevel on wrong side, toward starter) and gave it a try, this time with the starter strap in place.. it worked!! A temp fix to get the drive plowed till I got a new gear! Trust me that straight cut slamming into the flywheel makes its own bevel!:DGood enough for 1 emergency start.