Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just Curious

clyde

I was looking at some of the B10 stuff SmilinSam has on E-bay and the choke/speed control caught my eye. I thought the B10 was basically the same as my Landlord, but something just looked different. Finally realized that the choke ON/OFF position is backward from my Landlord. And now I'm curious how the choke works on the B10. Is the choke lever on the other side of the carb? Is the cable routed different, to come in from the front side? Or does ON mean open and OFF mean closed on a B10? B10 control from Sam's E-bay listing:

and my Landlords control:

I think the chole lever on the carb has holes both above and below the shaft or the lever is set up either way. To set it up for one type use the hole above the shaft and for the other way use the hole below the shaft. That way no matter which way the cable moves(push or pull to open) it works. My B-12 has it opposite from the controls on the dash, that is I have to put the choke "OFF" in order for it to be on.....

Beginning with the late B-10 and Simplicity 2010, the throttle and choke controls were changed slightly. The levers were longer and the choke direction was reversed. The carb on these engines should have two positions to mount the cable. The upper position is for the newer control and the lower position is for the older control. Pat

The carb that was on my B/S 243431 has dual choke mount positions. The lever that the cable mounts to is dual ended. One end is push-pull, other end is pull-push. All you have to do is move the mounting position of the cable to change directions.

THANKS! I thought after I made the post that if the lever was 'up' instead of 'down' like my Landlord it would work. I had started to look thru some reference material but got sidetracked - darn work!

Just snapped these pics of my early B10 [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/toad270/7.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/toad270/8.JPG[/img] as you turn choke on it moves lever towards the back of the tractor I hope this answers your question.

The early B-10's were 9 horse. The 9 horse carb is different than the 10 horse and larger engines. There is only one choke cable attachment point on those carbs. Pat

One of the things I look at on the oldies is the carb. The 9 horse has three screws holding the carb together and the ten horse and up have the four screw carbs.......