Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42 snowthrower spring location

landlord2110

I bought a used 42" Simplicity snowthrower and there is a sring that was loose and would like to know where it hooks up on both ends. there is a drawing on simple tractor web site 36"(2025057) showing that same spring but cant tell where attaches. it is item # 4(spring,return) on drawing.

If nobody else gets a picture of this spring and it's location before I get home from work I'll snap a pic and post it this afternoon.

It's the "return spring" for the movable idler that moves it up when you release the clutch engagement rod... one end fastens to the bolt that holds that idler pulley (between a set of double nuts) and the other end fastens over a notch in the snowblower hitch frame as shown below: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/snow_ops/figure_5_small.jpg[[/img] I don't see a picture that shows the other side of the idler, with the double nuts on the shaft, but here's a view that shows the bolt from the other side: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/snow_ops/figure_4_small.jpg[/img] Here's the operation manual for the similar 36" blower, that goes along with the parts manual you found, also on Simple trACtors: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/snow_thrower/single_belt.htm

Not sure of the cause of the need too do so, but when I moved that spring from the notch to the left side of the bend in the hitch frame I quit eatting belts. I know its because of the way it pulls on the pulley, alining it better, I just haven't figured out what tweeted to cause the need.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Not sure of the cause of the need too do so, but when I moved that spring from the notch to the left side of the bend in the hitch frame I quit eatting belts. I know its because of the way it pulls on the pulley, alining it better, I just haven't figured out what tweeted to cause the need.
Marty, Check the little pulley brackets........ They bend. Moving the spring compensates for a while until the brackets bend more.

Yea, they do do that Herb, I've hammered them straight so many times I think the metal is getting weak. Never have known just what angle the rods they mount on are suppose to be, when I got mine they been rewelded already, I just try too keep the pulleys running straight with the belt. Maybe I should restrick myself to just using it on the driveway.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Yea, they do do that Herb, I've hammered them straight so many times I think the metal is getting weak. Never have known just what angle the rods they mount on are suppose to be, when I got mine they been rewelded already, I just try too keep the pulleys running straight with the belt. Maybe I should restrick myself to just using it on the driveway.
Welding a small "strong back" to the side of the bracket(s) will cure the repeated bending.