Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Welding on tractor advice

mowerman1193

Ok well I boke the front axle on the Broadmoor 728... Well it just has a crack in the original weld and started bending when I caught it...I have it all bent back into shape and plan to weld it back up tonight.... Is there any precautions I should look at before welding other than disconnecting the battery that might damage this electrical system??Is just disconnecting the batt enough or do I unhook wires from the S/G and Regulator too..This will be the first time I have welded on a tractor that was complete...most of the time I have them apart for a restore..Just dont want to damage anything... Thanks,

Forgot to ask if you all think the splindle bushing would be ok...seens I will be welding right next to them...I think they would as my little wire feed welder isn't as hot as a stick welder.. I hope so cause I don't want to have to take it apart any farther...

Disconnect the battery and you should be set to go. But I think all you need to disconnect is the negative side of battery. RayS

Just remember that electricity takes the path of least resistance. Clamp your welder's ground cable on a bare area of the same piece of metal you are going to weld. You don't want a weak ground so that the welding "circuit" will have to go in a round-about way to complete the "circuit." That round-about way could be through bearings, other electrical components, etc. and you won't know it until damage is done.

Just unhook the Battery cable... It will be fine... I personally would weld it with an Arc welder in stead of you Wire welder... (110volt 100amp) JMO

If I were you I would hook the ground directly to the axle like Dutch said. I would also grind a bevel on atleast one of the parts so you will get better penetration. If possible weld in a flat position.

Well I went out and welded it tonight..I think it will hold ok...Been out cleaning up what I didn't get done last night... Bunky,This metal isn't all that thick and I think the wire welder was plenty hot enough...All the front axle is is a pipe with the ends flattend and another tube for the spindle to go through welded to the end of the flattened axle tube...this is where it was cracked at..I can see that this could be a weak spot on these as the metal is only about 12 gage if that..not real heavy IMO.. I bought me a auto darken welding helmet tonight before I took on the task...Now I know why I aways welded so sloppy...never could see what I was doing,LOL

kevin i was hoping one of thise helmeta would help my poor welding i almost bought one LOL I guess practice is the key and not gadgets.

quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
kevin i was hoping one of thise helmeta would help my poor welding i almost bought one LOL I guess practice is the key and not gadgets.
Practice makes perfect that's what I was always told... LOL:D Mowerman.. I figure it was heavier ther what you describing... If it's only 12 gauge and pipe then your wire welder would be fine....

You can weld plenty thin with a wire feed welder. I've done the flywheel shroud on a Briggs and that's pretty thin stuff. The trick is to not weld for too long a time so it doesn't overheat, otherwise you'll blow through the tin. I too just got an auto-darkening helmet but have not used it yet. I also just got a flier in from Harbor Freight, they have them on sale for $50 for the cheapest ones.

Since I am a novice, I found that the auto-darking helmet is just right for a 110/120 mig/wire feed welder. Sure makes a difference, when you really have no experience, when you can see to strike the arc. Dan

As for removing the gas tank, what I typically do is get a very wet towel. Cover the filler with some plastic and then drape the wet towel over the tank and anyplace fuel might be located. Hmmm..Autodarkening helmet. Might be worth looking into.

Well I don't do much welding..just to show you I bought this Lincoln wire welder 8 years ago with the bigger spool of wire (I think a 10lb.)I am still on the first spool of wire and I think more than half of it is still there...seems like the stick welder is too hot for most of what I do (autobody work) and it warps my new panels I weld in..But I always tried to not use the wire welder because I could never see what I was welding...That spool of wire will get used up this year I bet... This new helmet is the icing on the cake now...I have lots of stuff on my wish list that I can build now... BTW,I just bought the cheaper one at TSC and it was on sale too..I payed about $81 with tax I think..