Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Boston's Big Dig and my newest tractor

BrownA

Today I took a ride and aquired another tractor in Mass. south of Boston. I took my 1 ton dump truck and my dual wheel trailer. Well on the return trip my dump body was full and so was my trailer. Being a 1 ton and the fact that IT DOESN'T RIDE LIKE A CADILAC I like to strap things down, just in case. Well here we were driving north bound in the new 14 million dollar tunnel when I hear ding,ding,ding,ding, etc. So,I roll the window down and look in my mirrors. Don't see anything but know the sound isn't good. I decide I want to pull over, isn't that what a break down is for ? emergencies or problems ? Guess what ? 14 million and ( have you figured it out yet ? NO BREAKDOWN LANE . I guess it's not the place to have a problem. Well I keep looking in my mirrors and now see the metal end of the large ratchet strap ( hook end ) dragging in front of the front trailer tire. I am now worried about whats to follow. Now it starts to spark like the fourth of July and then the hook goes against the tire acting like a chock block with my tire stopping ( OH _____ ! ) Can't pull over, no place to go. Well luckily the strap cut throught and away went the metal end and my tire began to turn. So I then got off at the first exit and pulled over once I found a safe place to do so to resecure the load. I just realized how important break down lanes are when the exist. Just thought I would share the story. Al

Yes it always seems that when you need a place to get off the Highway there isn't one well at least no one was injured and the tractor didn't get damadged..

Al, I'm glad you didn't have a catastrophy to report. I think you're a little light on that 14 million Big Dig. Last I heard it was more like 14 Billion..... that's $14,000,000,000.00 and......... "Boston's Big Dig could take up to 50 years to pay back. That's the word from Massachusetts Governor Paul Cellucci..." http://boston.about.com/cs/traffic/a/bigdig0200.htm Aren't Kennedy - Kerry & company the guys who pushed that boon-doogle project? And, aren't they the same guys who are critcizing the Bush budget?

Al Sounds like your were very lucky you didn't end with a flat tire,a ticket for an improperly secured load, and worst of all a damaged tractor. Of course if you had created a major roadway tie up we'd be reading about you in tomorrow's T&G! Or seeing you on wbz! I've had the opportunity to drive in one or two of boston's tunnel's and I know for certian that I definately do not want to break down there![:0]:I

quote:
Aren't Kennedy - Kerry & company the guys who pushed that boon-doogle project? And, aren't they the same guys who are critcizing the Bush budget?
Dutch, I'm pretty sure that the project wasn't their brainchild, I am sure they helped it along when it looked like it was going to stall due to the so-called cost overruns. Besides we've had at least one republican gov since this all started who probably could of shut it down if he was willing to fight about it. (Of course now that I've opened my mouth I'll have to go do some fact checking just so I can stand on my side of the fence.LOL) If I were the president I'd probably spend a few extra bucks here and there as well since I'd be thinking that the plug has been pulled on my ship and it may be taking on water.............LOL[:0] Oh yea BTW Boston will be so much prettier because now you won't have to look at the traffic jams since they'll underground!

Al I know what you mean about that road, How about the leaks and the 6foot long ice sickles that hang from the walls due to burst pipes!! Argghhh what a mess, but i would like to thank all the members across the country for helping us pay for it :) So all what did you get??? we are neighbors come to find out i am 2 towns over in woburn take care john