Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dhardin

Deck question

dhardin
I was seting up my deck on my Landlord and the instruction read to adjust the front tip of the center blade a 1/4 inch HIGHER than the trailing edge of the two outside blades. In all my mowing day this is the opposite of anything I'v heard of. To me it would appear setting the deck to the factory specs. You would be cutting the grass twice, once with the front of the blade and again with the trailing edge, taking more power to cut. Also if the back blade is lower it would be bending over the grass to cut it with the back surface of the blade not the tip? Anyone ever tried setting the blades with the lead edge LOWER by a 1/4 inch and see how it mowes? Its got me baffled, of course sometimes it don't take much.. Any comments

DaveM
Remember that the rollers at the back of the deck set the height. Therefore the front of the deck may naturally be lower than the back. If you don't set the front 1/4" higher, I'm guessing the center blade will cut the grass 1/4" lower than the back blades. This is only my theory. I've always set according to the manual, and I get a nice cut. DaveM

BillC
With the front edge of the blade 1/4" higher than the back edge, the leading front edge rough cuts the grass while the trailing rear edge finish cuts the grass. The grass will not bend over with the great amount of suction the Simplicity mowers produce. This is why Simplicity has the patented best cutting mower in the business.

MPH
Dan, don't feel dumb for asking, my brother still thinks Simplicity is all wet with that idea. Guess I'll have too call him and read him BillC reply. Maybe it'll make sence to him then and he'll sell his JD.