Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Smitty

turn the key and nothing happens!!!! Help!

Smitty
I have a 7018h that will not start. I had it running great, all around the yard, etc. Stopped, turned it off, filled it with more gas. Cranked it back, it turned over but did not start, tried again and could not get the engine to even turn over. Not a sound or movement anywhere. Help me diagnois this problem. What just died that I need to replace? Smitty[V]

thedaddycat
Loose or corroded electrical connections or ignition switch failure soiunds possible. The fact that it cranked and then wouldn't makes me think it's the switch. Does the engine still roll over by hand?

maxtorman1234
Ours used to do that when we used the small tractor battey, and didnt charge. I would check the battery. The only ignition switch that has ever gone, was the one on our 310. Could be bad connections too..

Roy
My B-1 did that one summer. Eventually found that the battery ground cable-to-tractor frame connection was poor (slightly loose and rust). Odd thing was it would work cold and die after the engine warmed up (like you described yours as doing). Check your battery connections. Good luck,

RayS
Also check the inline fuse and wire that goes to the ammeter. Won`t start if it disconnect from the ammeter. On my 917H the wire just slides over the post on the ammeter instead of being held on with a screw like my other tractors. RayS