Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB work

maxtorman1234

I was working on the 10HP engine in my 410 the other day, and forgot there was nothing on the shaft in the gbg to hold it in. I lost the key inside and have to take it apart again. Is it worth trying to work on it while it is in the tractor? Dont feel like taking it apart so soon, but I have to do something. Thanks to Mack, I have just received the pulley I need, and I just have get a starting gear and feul pump rebuild kit. Also, what is the best way to clean out a carb? THanks,

Removal and disassembly is the best way to clean the carb. Carb rebuild kits run about $25, and you can also get individual parts like jets and needle valves. From the sounds of it, you have the tranny drive pulley off and the shaft slipped out on the PTO side maybe? If all you have to do is put the key back in place and push the gear over onto the shaft, drain the BGB and remove the cover. You can get at everything to put the key in and line up the gear without removing anything else. To replace bearings or seals would be another matter entirely........

The bgb can be taken apart while on the tractor, been there done that. Not sure I'd do it that way again though, it was a REAL pain