Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Five Bolt Wheels

yeoman

I am wondering where you can get some wheels with measurements of 12 x 12 that would bolt on any Simplicity tractor. The 4.5" bolt pattern would be needed with the correct offset as those of the measurements 12 x 7 which are stock. Any suggestions other than making them?

Though I haven't tried it to confirm, I've heard that these use the same (4.5" I think, it's been a while???) 5-lug bolt pattern common to Ford cars (not pickup trucks). That may open up some possibilities also. If so, you could likely get them made pretty affordably using standard Ford wheel centers welded into the rims in your choice of width....

I can confirm that it is the Ford 5 bolt pattern as I have had Ford 14" wheels on my B-12. I think the 1/2 ton pickup uses the same bolt pattern as the cars. Tim

Ford F-150's use a 5" (on center) 5-lug bolt pattern and won't interchange with cars. F-250's and 350's use 6-lug pattern.... I think Chrysler cars also use the same 4.5" 5-lug pattern as Ford cars.... GM cars are/were 4.75" 5-lug.

Ok Kent you convinced me, I'm not a Ford man so I wouldn't know the specifics. I just know the car wheels fit the tractors. Yeoman, what kind of tires are you planning on mounting on a 12" wide rim? ATV tires are not intended for tractors and I was told by a tire dealer that sells them that they wouldn't hold up if used as tractor tires. Tim

Hi, I have made a number of sets of these wheels. I just take a set of old garden tractor wheel, cut them in the drop centers all of the way around, a lathe works best, but you can mount them on an axle or the rear of a tractor and mount a cutting torch on a fixture to hold it in one place and rotate the rim and cut it in two pieces. Next roll a band of 1/8th or 3/16 inch steel the same diameter as the drop center the width needed to make the rim the desired width, and tack it between the pieces of the rim. Weld her up, do about an inch and go to the other side and do about an inch then go 90 degrees and repeat until all of the seams are welded. This greatly reduces distortion. The Sovereign family will work well with 26/12.00/12 terra tires. Eight plies work really well as they don't belly out and lay flat like a caterpiller track. using these tires the rims should be about 10 to 10.5 inches wide bead to bead. I used to run fluid in them and you can go anywhere. CAUTION. WITH THESE TIRES THESE TRACTORS WILL CLIMB, AND CLIMB THE GEARS CAUSING THE FRONT WHEELS COME UP AND THEY COME OVER BACKWARDS. I HAD A CUSTOMER DO THIS WITH A NEW 7100 DEMO ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO AND IT COST 1300 TO FIX. HE DIDN'T GET HURT AND I NEVER PUT ON ANOTHER SET OF THESE WHEELS FOR ANYBODY ELSE TO USE. LUCKY. JUST UNDERSTAND THE POTENTIAL RISK WHEN YOU USE THESE TIRES. Good luck, AL

Hi, I forgot to mention, these wheels are readily available in polished aluminum in many combinations, Most of the pullers use them, they are sharp, nice at a nice price. Good luck, Al

I use two sets of 23-8.50-12 with a reverse off-set rim on the inside and the center cut out of the outside rim, but left the ears that the wheel weights mount to. I had a welding shop roll a band of steel about the size of the rim,i took it home and welded the band together. Bought ready rod and nuts then bolted them together. it makes a great looking set of duals, I take the right one off to plow. Works on b series. more info let me know. Steve