Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
alanscott

I'm now the owner of a ...

alanscott
Honda? I bought a chipper/shredder out of the paper this afternoon, sitting beside it was a Honda HT-3818 garden tractor, free if I wanted to haul it off. Has anyone ever come across one of these? It's about the same size as a 900 series, with a water cooled 2 cylinder engine and has a mower deck on it, but no front or rear PTO's. It looks like it's from the late 70's or early 80's. I told him I'd be over tomorrow with the flatbed and winch to load it, I'll post a few pics of it then.

Leroy
The simplicity dealer in my area carrys the Honda tractor And a small simplicity mower . I did not inquire about the Honda except to say i didnt know they made them. However i did ask them if they were going to put a new legacy 4x4 on the dealer floor and he said it was unlikely. Good luck with it. Honda does make good engines.

Tacey
I've always had good luck with Honda products. I was looking for a Honda tractor when I bought my Simplicity. I think Honda stopped building lawn/garden tractors a few years back. Tacey

PatrickE
I never had a Honda tractor but everything else Honda that I have is indestructible. And if the "free" word is attached, I would drag it home, my only hesitation would be to find an excuse to tell my honey why "I need that thing too!".

BLT
Here this should get you an operators manual. Hope it is written in something you can understand. Really it looks like something that sat in a corner for a while, but some serious buffing and a little pressure washing here and there might make it look not to bad. Here's your book>>> http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/RIDING_EQUIP_OWN/pages/HT3813.htm

bigcountry
I had a Honda HT-3810 one time, 38" cut, 10hp single, 6 spd. It was a good running tractor, just it was underpowered. The And you are all right about the parts expense, I had to replace the starter on there, and it cost $500. After that, I sold it for $800 and used that as a down payment on the GT-235.

bigcountry
If you do get it cranked, don't be alarmed if it feels like the clutch is weak and it doesn't move fast right away, best I can remember from mine, it should have a variable pulley that gradually engages and it will move slowly the first few seconds that its in gear, then it will speed up to where you set it. Overall mine had a great cut and ran extremely smooth, just don't expect to pull much of anything with it, mine would bog down with an empty cart.

maxtorman1234
That is probably a very good engine too. Was looking throught the paper and found that exact same model tractor for sale. The guy wants $2000 for it![:0] I think that would be a great engine for a bigger tractor.

bigcountry
The bad thing is that it is an aluminum block, and from what I recall from the manual, I may not be right, but I think they have a fairly short stroke. They are very good running engines.

alanscott
New plugs and battery, it fired right off, but it does run a bit rough and weeps fuel from the carb. The transmission seems ok in it, we put about 30 minutes on it putting around. The deck is a different story, it'll engage and spin the blades, but it sounds like a cat in a blender. I'm thinking new bearings in the deck and then keep it around for knocking down weeds and such.

thedaddycat
I don't know diddly about how much of what will cross fit on Hondas, but I have a Honda Harmony sitting in the yard with a blown engine. The deck seems to be in good shape. Shipping would be a bit pricey I think, but I'll cut you a good deal on the deck.......