Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel supply problems

MPH

Not sure whats going on, after the Landlord sat a couple weeks without use It wouldn't run without full choke and the neddle valve turned WAY out, after about 5 min it started running rich, so readjusted carb and she ran fine. Figured I had a piece of dirt plugging it up. Today the 725 did the same thing, probably been 3 weeks since its run. The B-112 has never done it, use the same gas in all four, both have new lines and filters and I run Sea Foam in my gas. Float sticking Shut??? Thanks for any thoughts..

sounds to me like a tiny bit of ice that melted or washed through. Could have beeb dirt too. With your temps, a little condensation and ice wouldnt surprise me a bit.

Seeing how my babies sit in a warm shop, and they do it when I fire them up before I go out into the warm 15 above, I don't see how ice fits the problem. Sorry I didn't mention they were in the warmth.

Im also having feul problems too. My 12HP Kohler ran fine yesterday, but had to put gas in the carb for it to start. It was pouring out the carb but was not seeming to get to the engine. I know my float sticks open and ocasionally stalls the engine, but if anything, shouldnt the engine have been flooded?

It could still be H2O,going from a warm place,outside to work and then back into a warm building ,condensation can build up in the tank, i always add a shot of HEET or other good isopropyl dry gas,it gets warm here in the day and real cold at night,i don't store gas for more than 2 weeks, if i don't use it it goes in one of the cars and i get more for the machines.

Mine did the same a month ago during the "Maryland 20 day freeze" on my 410S. I replaced the fuel filter, let some fuel run out of the fuel line, and emptied the fuel from the carberator bowl. It has ran perfect ever since.

Gas will get weak as time goes by. I always empty the tank and carb once a month, "Shut gas off and let run until quits" this helps to keep weak gas out of my tank. :D

I really dont use my 3212V in the winter months,but for all of my tractors I mix 4 ounces of Auto Zone,Carb/injector cleaner and, 4 ounces of dry gas to every 5 gallons of 87 octane gas that I use all year.I have never had any problems as stated above.I have a mix of 4 ozs of kerosene to 2 gallons of 87 octane gasoline,I put 2 ozs of that mix into each one when they are going to be stored for a while.An old farmer told me that the kerosene will act as well as Stabile.I have been doing this in my 1984 wheel horse since new and have never had the carburator apart,it is a twin 16 hp B&S.I have never ran the fuel out for winter storage and they all turn over and start first shot in the spring. Maybe Im a little nuts,but this works for me,in fact maybe Im more then a little nuts.(We are all here ,cause we aint all there !) I do get down to the shed to start them all at least a few times each winter,let them run at 1/2 throttle for at least a 1/2 hour.I also use this in my trimming mowers and my 10 horse Tecumshe snowblower.And also in my 2 cycle trimmer and blower. I tought I read in this forum a couple of years ago that ,that wasnt good for my older motors ,but it seems to work for me.In fact today is pretty mild here in Connecticut and I think I will go down and give them all a little run.I also hane a 1970 bolens 850 husky for sale ,very restorable,with the box on the deck rebuilt, $150.00.Have a great day.

Pete, guess my puzzlement is from the fact that the B-112 never does it. They all sit in the same shop, same gas ect. Fired the 112 the other day to test drive the new tri-rib tires and she never missed a beat. Been at least two weeks since it ran and the filter and gas line is been on it for 3 years, gas goes in the top hole, come out through the carb, no troubles.

Are all the gas lines of the same type. It may be possible that some may be of a different type of rubber and are detoriating. I've had some that would pass gas thru them and yet when i attempted to run a rod thru line to make sure it was clear , i was unable to do so.

Hi, I would suspect that there is a small drop of water in the float bowl. If you have ever poured gas through a funnel with a brass screen in it you will observe that any drops of water will form a ball and will lay on the brass screen. Back in the 40s we always used a funnel with a screen in it when filling farm tractors for this reason. This is because of the surface tension of the water. Put a drop of detergent or alchol in and the surface tension is broken and it will go through. I used to have a 63 Chev 6 cyl truck that would die when you would go around a turn or accelerate just right. A swing of the wheel or a brake and it would go again. What was happening was a small gobule of water in the float bowl and when it would "roll" over the main jet, it would not let the gas go through and it would act just like a cork. Swinging the steering wheel or hitting the brake and it would roll away and the truck would would take off and run fine until the next episode. Removing the carb top and blowing the water out and it would be fine for a few months. I have had this problem with other vihicles, but this carb seemed to be the worst. I have had the same problems with my Briggs 16s and usually I would just unscrew the main [high speed] jet assy and let the water and some gas run out and put it back in and it would run fine until I picked up some more water. If you this catch the draining gas and look at what you catch, if there are small globules of water, you got it. Heet may help also. Be very careful to dispose of the gas away from the tractor before you restart it so you don't have a fire. When the water is under the jet you have to choke to get some fuel when the blockage is gone then with the choke you are too rich. My thoughts, they are free, value accordingly. Good luck, Al Eden

Well Al, I always place a high value on your thoughts. Now I know why all those old funnels we had on the farm when I was kid had the brass screen in them.

Hi, Now we know how old you are. Those old Mc Cormick Deering 10-20s and 15-30s and Twin Cities could ALMOST have charcoal in the fuel and it could go through the carbs the way gas went through them. I had a John Deere G once and it would run through 25 gallons of fuel in a forenoon not working it. Al

Hey now wait minute Al, we had 2 Farmall 'H'es. Though I did learn how to drive motorized equipment on a 1937 'CC' case. But I was so young I could only reach one brake at a time, had to pivot over the tranny for the other one. Good thing it had a hand clutch and a large steering wheel.

quote:
Originally posted by Al
Hi, Now we know how old you are. Those old Mc Cormick Deering 10-20s and 15-30s and Twin Cities could ALMOST have charcoal in the fuel and it could go through the carbs the way gas went through them. I had a John Deere G once and it would run through 25 gallons of fuel in a forenoon not working it. Al
Al, that was when gas was only 15-17 cents a gallon. I can also remember that when gas was 17 cents, you go for a bucks worth and they would round that to the closest gallon and forget the two cents.

Hi, It had to be. I worked with a guy at Collins that came from Kansas and they used to have a John Deere D that they used to start on gas and [it had the kerosene manifold] and they used to switch it over and burn crude oil [out of the well]with a little keresene added in the wheat fields. He claimed that it would get in the crankcase and they would drain the oil and sludge at night when it was hot or it got like lumps of grease. Rings probably didn't last good with the crude in the cyls. When I started at Rockwell in 1956 I got 1.33 per hr.+about .22 benefit, gas was about 22 cents when I retired about 8 years ago I was getting about 17.00 plus 9.00 benefits and gas was about 1.40 When I owned the G was about 1970. Dual wheels with Cast iron centers. If you stopped in a little ditch with the rear wheels you had to either hold one brake and turn or back out and turn as the front would come up instead of turning the wheels up out of the ditch. Al Eden

That's one thing I love about the old glass bowl filters, you can see anything it's catching right off. If you see a bit of water you just dump it out. I run an inline filter between it and the carb on the Putt Putt, just for good measure.

My Grandpa used to have a 900 Ford and he swore that it would quit every day at 4 P.M. , I'm glad he sold that tractor, Nothing but yellow and orange in the shop now. :D