Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler vs. Briggs - Part 57 - Kohler Wins!

Brent_Baumer

Hi all. Been referring to my Kohler manual:

And to my Briggs manual:

Quite a bit lately. I have had both for several years and referred to both often. I enjoy re-reading the Kohler manual over and over. Very good sketches and pics. Very well organized and easy to understand. I give it an A. The Briggs manual on the other hand SUCKS in comparison. It has too many different types of engines, fuel systems, ignition systems etc. lumped together, the sketches oftentimes are not very good, it is impossible to flip to the specific carb or whatever you are looking for as the index is way too broad. It usually takes longer just to find what you are looking for in the Briggs book than it does to read about it and fix it in the Kohler book. Does anyone know if Briggs has a manual just for the 240000-320000 series engines similar to Kohlers? If they do, I have not been able to find it. In the battle of manuals at least, Kohler wins hands down!

Now that I posted this and looked at the ebay listings, I see a briggs service manual with a red cover up for bids. Does anyone know if that is comparable to the Kohler book? Thanks, Brent

I'm with ya on the manuals. I wish the briggs manuals stayed with one engine and NOT all the engine ever built by briggs. I have a red manual from ~1990 and it is still all over the place with model numbers etc. John H

There is nothing I know of that just covers the cast iron engines. My version of the L head sevice manual is about 380 pages in thirteen volumes and covers only the numeric versions up to about 1997. That is where the cost of updates were more then I wanted to handle. It covers everything that was flathead from about 1958 up. Kohlers book only handled one line per book, say the K series for one the CH series for another. One of these days I'll probably get mine on CD

If you go on ebay and get a Briggs manual on disc it is far superior to the book.It gives much more info and you can pin point what you want.It was cheap too,only $5.00.

I wonder if that Briggs Manual is an licensed copy. I bought one and they are good. Why does Briggs have so many models? Which one is the more popular to put in a variety of machines? You build the machines and Briggs will make an engine to fit. Kohler says here is the engine, you make you machine fit it.