Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" single belt blower question

lbeckm3

I finally think I'm ready to go to work with this thing. My last belt shredded (didn't notice a loose pulley) so I put a new one on today (an actual Simplicity belt from Sandy Lake). My question is this, it doesn't seem to matter how I adjust things, the blower still turns sporadically when the PTO lever is disengaged, meaning it will spin 1/2 turn, pause for a second, then jump another 1/4 turn, repeat. Is this normal, and should I worry about it? I just don't want to burn up the belt or anything. I know to actually shut the tractor off to clear out snow etc. Also, this is mounted on my Allis 611LT if that helps. Thanks!

Somewhere you got some belt stops either missing or not adjusted properly by the sounds of it. The wire looking belt guides keep the belt in the proper loop when disengaged. They need to be adjusted between 1/8 and 1/4 inch from the belt when it is tight (engaged), thus when you disengage they hold the belt in a proper loop to keep it off the pulley and keep it from grabbing. What your belt is doing is "flopping" when it is loose and grabbing on the pulley when its not supposed to. Thats general, on your particular tractor I dont know for sure what stops you have nor how many. My opinion.... And yes if you leave it that way it probably will burn the belt.

Earlier in the snow season I had the same problem with my 36" thrower on a Big Ten. Do a search on Simple tractors, there is a operator manual detailing the set-up and use. The belt guides on the drive pulley on the engine shaft are very important. They need to be very close to the pulley. The manual details the distance needed and adjustments to be made. GregB

Manuals for 611LT Snowblowers and Attachments [url="http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1676_00_AT_S.pdf"]OPERATOR'S MANUAL - Hitch for Snowthrower, 42", 36" Snowthrower Attachment [/url] [url="http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_838_05_AT_S.pdf"]PARTS MANUAL - 4000, 5000 and 6000 Series Attachment & Accessories [/url]

Thanks all! I only have one of those finger deals near the drive pulley and a giant U shaped thing on front side of the pulley. It would appear that all of these would cause the belt to "stay on" the pulley, even when disengaged. Shouldn't it actually loosen the belt around the drive pulley? Here is some ascii art of what I'm talking about. _ <-Same size as the finger deal, but in the shape of a giant U (O) <-drive pulley | |* <-finger dealy - I'm so technical!! O O <-idler pulleys Wait a sec, I think I can get real pictures; This is the big U bracket thing;

This is a side view of the finger deal;

Is the bracket supposed to be pulled up tight with the pulley? Again, I'd think that would cause MORE spinning etc. when disengaged. Anyway, I'll dig through the manuals that Maynard is pointing too and see if that helps as well.