Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Flywheel keys

dogboy

I finally got the ignition parts installed,and it started right up,,then quit,the key was part way sheared,put in a new key,started right up ,started to vibrate,didn't sound right then quit-new key in 2 pieces,,Any idea's ? thanks.

I figured it out,i had the fly wheel in the house-it must have expanded from the heat,it was dragging against the coil,,dumb eh ? i'll try a bit more air gap while i'm at it.

It also sounds like you may not be tightening the nut tight enough that holds the flywheel on. The key should only hold the flywheel till it is tightened. It is not meant to prevent it from turning. I have friends who have run Pulling engines without keys, so that they can advance the timing. I had a Kohler that sheared two keys because the threaded part of the crank was cracked and wouldn't hold the flywheel tight. It eventually broke off when I was trying to tighten it.

I find one of the best uses for my Impact is turning down the Flywheel nut. The engine doesn't turn quite as much as with a wrench. Second option, tighten by hand using the wrench then whack that baby with a hammer a few times to get it to seat. Anyone ever have problems using either of these methods?

Simple John, A deadblow hammer smacking a breaking bar makes a great impact wrench. I didn't say it because I thought most people might object to my methods.

Rod, Your "methods" sound a lot like mine. That deadblow works just as well for breaking loose stubborn bolts. By the way I also cut with arc ;):D