Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lotsa motor questions?

riverrunner16

I pulled newly aquired 816GT into the garage today..it may need more help than I thought..needs new front bearings on spindles..no biggey I guess BUT 1) starter is fried, armature is melted to housing..why? 2) drained oil, very thin and smells like gas 3) charging circuit/alternator is dead short, trips breaker when plugged in 4)no spark Question..should I buy a manual and fix up this old twin Briggs or just buy a brand new 12HP online for $399.00...I found a new starter for the twin locally for $85.00..could I spend more money fixin' up the twin than just getting a new 12HP..would I notice the horsepower difference?...at least my 16HP CI single in the Garden Mark always starts. Thanks for any advice, 73 from Idaho KD7VKW Scott

Hi Scott i had a problem with fuel seeping into the sump of my kohler motor and the needle and seat was the basic reason after cleaning the needle and seat and installing a shut off tap in the fuel line i have no more problems just one other thing where is that $399 12hp motor available from pls???

I like to keep original parts myself, The coil most likely needs to be replaced and put on correctly, The electrical system most likely needs to be replaced, The oil is from too much gas. :D

Scott, How about posting a picture of your starter? I have a couple of Tecumseh starters in the garage that may work. I'll let you have one for $40 if it will work. Reason I asked this question is that I was able to use a B/S starter on a Kohler after changing the bendix.

Scott, If you decide to go with the new engine, check out this link: http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Briggs Two different 12.5 hp verticals for $375 each and free shipping.

Thanks for the answers so far!! I did get some spark today after some fiddling around and cleaning things up...seems to have good compression, I cleaned up the carb (the pump was full of varnish and rust), so maybe this ole' thing will run after all..I saw the #399.00 engine at Jacks, thanks for the Smallengine link GregC. Here is what the starter looks like, my housing is 3", I guess they do not make that anymore, the new one is 3 5/8 but I have plenty of room. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/bsstart.cfm Its the bottom one. I still don't have my camera working yet. 73 from Idaho KD7VKW Scott

Scott, Check out these links: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381718115&category=50366 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381719000&category=50370 Is this the starter that you need? Here's a used starter: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381583321&category=50371

Scott Sounds like the tractor i had... my neighbor gave me an 808GTII that needed a motor...I repowered it to 18hp. Im sure that 16hp will do nicely also... Im going to need a starter also...From what ive heard they werent the most reliable...but the replacements are much better...there should be a pic of mine in my profile..

It sounds like the ignition went bad (coil. points, or whatever) and someone fried the starter and pumped the gas into the crancase trying to start it. In fact the root problem may be the charging circuit fault. I would straighten out the electrical and see where it stands before spending $399 ....

Go on ebay.They have twin cylinder briggs all the time for $150.00-$300.00.I bought a couple and haven't gotten burned yet.

I think I will keep the motor on the tractor, the wiring is A mess, I am an electrician by trade so hopefully I can figure it out,the 2 circuit alternator thing is kinda new to me so I may pull the flywheel tommorrow and see just what is under there, after removing about 10 layers of electrical tape on the harness I have found some burnt up wires. I will post some pics tonight of the 816GT if I have time... Thanks Everyone!! 73 Scott KD7VKW