Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

small frame question

rokon2813

On the early broadmoors, how many models and which ones had the 2 speed tranny? I'm stripping one and have yet to find a number anywhere that will tell me what it is.

As far as I know, all the Broadmoors thru the 717 had the two speed trans, with the hi-lo as optional. I have a 66 707, a 67 717 and a 68 717 and all have two speeds, and I have never seen one with a three speed.

If it has a stub shaft to mount a pto pulley straight across from the drive pulley it would be a three speed...as the older round hoods tractors did not have the shaft there for the rear pto for tiller or revitalizer...

Ok well as far as I can tell the Broadmoors didn't really use a specific model number (ie 707 717) until 1966..The 1964 models had the black dash with no side panels and I belive the 1965 models had white dash without the side panels then the 707 for 1966 followed by the 717..Those would be the 2 speed models with the rounded hoods..Thats about the best I can tell you...I think most (but not all) the 707 & 717 models had decals on the sides of the hood to tell what models they were..Like my project 717 in the picture...

Well Kevin, you seem to know your Broadmoors :D Were the grills the same on all the ones you listed? You've gotten me a lot closer anyway. Thanks!!

MY TWO CENTS: The grills are the same on all the models Kevin listed. I just went out to the garage to look for differences in the three Broadmoors that I have. The only mechanical difference I can find is that the 1966 has an updraft carb. If yours has an updraft carb and no numbers on the hood (and that depends on whether the previous owner took them off or not)like on the pic Kevin posted, chances are good it's a 1964 or 65, depending on the color of the dash. I believe the 64 and 65 models also had "Simplicity" in script on the hood with no numbers and went to block letters and model numbers with the 707.

thanks Tom, unfortunately it came without a carb, and no sheetmetal on the engine so no help there either. The question is close enough to answered though. Customer was looking for a frame that is not the same as this one.:D

Yes the older ones has the Simplicity logo on the sides of the dash... The frames are all the same until you get to the flat hood style tractors (ie 727 & 728 on up).. Yes the grilles are all the same on the round hood ones..and finding good ones is getting harder to do..