Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is a special socket needed to remove bolts?

Orange

Hello, I need to remove the hydro pump freewheel plunger on my Sundstrand pump. It is held in place by two bolts with a star shaped pattern. Can one buy the socket to fit, is it a repair shop tool only, or should I use a vise grips and replace the bolt with a standard hex upon reinstallation. Thanks for your advice.

Should be able to buy sockets to fit it. I bought 3/8 drive alen head socket set at NAPA not long ago so I could torque some bolts.

Is this your eight point head or 12 point head? The eight point heads are pretty much gone from the scene but those 12 point are still around and great little items with plenty of grab. If you have the 12 pt, then the proper 12 point socket should fit like a dream. If you have this...

Then you need this....[

Thanks for the info. I don't know how all of you guys find the right pictures so fast. I wish the government ran as smoothly as this board. SimptrACtors has to be the anthithesis of a bureacracy. I'm headed home to count my points. Thanks again.

Congradulations Agricola, you have to be fast to beat UCD or hope he's helping someone else, to get a post up faster than him. he he