Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine I.D.

dogboy

Just picked up an old iron B&S,can't get anything from the B&S website ,the numbers don't work,,its a Model 5-S,type 700026,like to know the HP, thanks

quote:
Originally posted by dogboy
Seriously ? washmachine ?
Model 5 was a 2" bore X 1.5" stroke. Prior to WW II they were primary wash machine engines. Yes and the the horsepower was more to 1/2 to 3/4. They were built into the mid 50's

That is a representation of what it was.

quote:
Originally posted by dogboy
Seriously ? washmachine ?
Sounds like some of the younger generation and non collectors dont realize early washing machines were gas powered. :D:D Many were even kickstart so the Lady of the house could start it.;) But, the 5S was also used on some 2 wheel walking tractors as well I have a either a Cunningham or a Simplicity with a 5S. Cant remember which one, but the other has a model N and I'm sure there were other uses too.

The 5S should be just as Bob pictured, BUT with the fuel tank mounted to the bottom of the carb. The "5" denotes a five cubic inch displacement, and the "S" denotes a suction carburetor. The model 5 was a variation of the earlier model "WM". The "WM" engines also had a suction feed carburetor, but the tank and carb were seperate units. When used on a washing machine, there was a long flexible metal hose (similar to flexible electrical conduit) that was attached to the exhaust outlet of the engine. The muffler was attached to the other end of the hose so you could run the machine in the house and hang the muffler out of a window or door. The "WM" was not restricted to washing machines. There were different variations, but originally they were built for washing machines. That is what the model number, WM, stood for. Pat

Learned something new here again. Thought washmachine engines were all Maytags. Dad had about a dozen of them under the work bench in the farm shop. Used one on the air compessor til I build him an eletric model in high school shop class. Were the Briggs 2 cycle like the Maytags?

Marty, Nope, the Briggs were four cycles. Kind of neat feature of the WM engines was the oil drain plug. When you opened the oil fill, the drain plug was right there. Had an extra long head on the plug that extended up through the oil. You put a pan underneath, then removed the plug from the oil fill hole. Didn't have to fish around underneath. Michael, I'm 48. Pat

Mike, a Yahoo search? I have a similiar engine (pic below), seems to be a 5 or N model from the 1940's or 50's. It came off a lawn roller with a three speed trans that belonged to my friend's grandfather. The head bolt pattern and the base were very similiar to a couple of engines on a b/s site I found. May have been a wash machine motor. Amazingly, it runs. the beast

Just did a "yahoo " search,,they were pretty common, this one is complete,want to clean it up before trying for a start up< thanks every one

Ive got a model AR6 briggs cast iron, according to the dates the engine was built in 1936 and is about 1-1 3/4 hp model, It has a 6:1 gear reduction to